Saturday 24 September 2022

Family news!

 

With just a week left until the end of the month I'm trying to be creative and using up what I have left.  I had some leftover sweet potatoes after cooking a whole bag in my Crockpot earlier this week (8 hours on Low.)  So I made some sweet potato/black bean burgers.  Recipe is this one HERE.  I haven't made these for a while but they taste amazing 😋  I had 2 for my lunch today and the remaining 6 will go in the freezer.


I had to pop into the wee Lidl (the one nearest me) and picked up a few 20p bargains!  They actually had a lot of good stuff reduced.  I think the bigger Lidl in town has taken away a lot of their business.  I didn't 'need' anything so left a lot of meat products for other folks.  Now I know they have a good reduced section I'll try to pop in more regularly.

A quick adding up of my spending so far this month shows I'm well under £300 for the month so far.  About £100 of that is stuff for my classroom!  I keep saying I'm not spending any more money on work but then I do 🙄 Plus I had to fill the car up with fuel.  I'm 'off' work on Monday (getting my non contact time back from the Bank holiday last Monday) so I'll be going to B&Q to stock up on paint and decorating supplies.  

I have a deadline of one month to get the upstairs bedroom, bathroom and hall landing finished because my eldest son and his wife are moving in with me!!  They will use the upstairs rooms and the family room room as their living room.  I'll move my bedroom downstairs into the current guest room and use the rooms/bathroom downstairs.  We'll share the kitchen.

They both have long term health conditions and are concerned about being able to afford their bills this Winter.  I have a 4 bedroomed house that has empty rooms I don't use/need.  This is our solution for the time being.  No idea how it work out in the long run but sharing one set of bills is the solution for now.

10 comments:

  1. The bean burgers look tasty and I’m glad you enjoyed them. Hope all goes well with your house share-think a lot more people will be doing something similar if they have room. We are selling my wee seven year old car as I can’t justify the expense of keeping it.🥲 The money will be used to keep us warm this winter. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing a lot of people talk about house sharing with family again! It makes sense for us just now so we'll see how it goes :-)

      Delete
  2. House sharing sounds like a very sensible way forward for you all. It sounds like you are going to be very busy decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you well in your house sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We know it'll be challenging but we have to make it work because of all the financial issues

      Delete
  4. The burgers look amazing - thanks for the recipe.
    What a generous thing to do and I wish you well in the house sharing. It does make sense, I agree. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These burgers are so easy to make and taste delicious! Be bold with the seasonings though!!

      House sharing makes sense for us just now. I will need to sell this house when I retire, it's just too big for 1 person and costs more than a pension to run! xxx

      Delete
  5. Some brilliant bargains there.

    I hope it works out for you all, sharing the house and pooling costs for heating through the winter sounds like a really good idea. Perhaps they could have a mini kitchen set up in their living room. Just a microwave, a kettle and toaster sort of the thing, and obviously they could do a bit of washing up in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a utility room that's big enough to set up as a mini kitchen, so maybe that's the way to go. We'll figure it out as we go :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks