Inspired by The Great British Sewing Bee I finally got my act together and started stitching again. Blogland is full of lovely sewing blogs and websites and I've spent a few months procrastinating, collecting stuff and planning on how to expand my wardrobe without spending a lot of cash. My annual budget is just £120. So far so good.
So, the Sorbetto is a free downloadable pattern from Colette. www.colettepatterns.com Very popular in blogland and had great reviews so I duly downloaded it and made this from a remnant piece of fabric!
It's far from perfect but I love it! In fact I finished stitching it this morning and am now wearing it :-)
I wanted the finish to be of a high standard so I dredged up memories of Home Economics at school (think I'm the last generation where girls were taught sewing and cooking and boys were taught woodwork!!) and did French seams. I thought a contrast bias binding would look good but in retrospect I don't like it. I made bias binding for the arm holes and did bound seams (kinda by accident as I stitched the bias binding on the right side by mistake!!)
I think it looks good from the inside too :-)
I need to wait for the teenager to come home and take a decent pic of me wearing it but hope this one shows what it looks like on me. Next time I'll make it longer (I have a long body!!) and take it in an inch on both sides under the arms as it gaps a little. It fits nicely across my back.
This is my next project. My mum was having a clear out of her wardrobe so I acquired several black bags of clothes. This flimsy flowery dress from Asda does nothing for me so I'm going to alter it into a tunic length top.
This is a lovely lined dress. It's got a Target label and cost $49.99. Mum doesn't remember buying it or how she came to have it!! It's 2 sizes too big for me so I'm going to take it in.
So from the above I'll have 2 tops and a dress and it hasn't cost me a penny!