Saturday 4 October 2014

Just use the things you have


I think this poster sums up the way I'm looking at my life right now.  Now that I no longer need to save to buy a house (although I am saving for retirement) my focus has shifted to living a simpler life with less stuff.  Despite moving house over a year ago I still have boxes and boxes of 'stuff' that have never been unpacked.  Methinks if that's the case it's no longer needed.  With one week to go until half term I'm planning a final clear out so I can look forward to Christmas and having my family able to stay without climbing over boxes to get to a bed!!
 
 
In the mean time I've been working on my kitchen.  I'd love to have a new one installed but I'm upcycling the one I've already got. All the old grotty tiles have been removed.  I've removed all the laminate from the cupboard doors.  You can see the door under the sink has been half done!


OH has filled in the hole from the old extractor fan and removed the weird excess sockets.  He's started to replace the grotty white ones with lovely silver and black ones.


And I've been busy with several pots of Annie Sloan's chalk paint, colour Old White (bought over a year ago!)  I just love the stuff.  No sanding, no prepping, just start painting.  My tiny north facing dark cramped kitchen is starting to look fab.  The old unit doors and the new larder doors now look the same.  I picked up some similar handles on Ebay for £8 to tie in the old and the new doors.

My lovely mum gave me some money to get a professional tiler in to put up the tiles.  I was going to do it myself but he will do the whole job in 2 days (I'd have taken weeks!!) and it wasn't as expensive as I'd thought.

Hopefully I can do a big reveal next week :-)

5 comments:

  1. Best paint ever! Can't wait to see the finished kitchen.
    Yea! to Mom for the tiler money. Bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I say this at least once a day to family members "use what you have", think they need to run out and buy something to get a job done but if they look around home surely something we already have will suffice.
    Your kitchen will be fabulous cannot wait to see end result.
    Ruth Western Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gong to look fantastic, and sometimes it's worth every penny to get the professionals in for some of the jobs. Seeing the tiling all fresh and new will inspire you to finish the rest of the room.

    I can't wait for the big reveal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing the result - inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, if there's one thing that looks much better done by a professional, it's tiling! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks