Sunday 5 April 2015

'Fakeaway' sweet and sour sauce

 
The Teenager was in the mood for Chinese food last night so I made my easy peasy sweet and sour sauce.  Cheaper than a takeaway and no MSG!  It's a really easy sauce to adjust.  If it's too sweet for your taste add more vinegar.  If it's too sour add more sugar.  Sometimes I add carrot too.  Ready in about 10 minutes!
 
Sweet and Sour Sauce
 
1 tsp stir fry oil (I use the one from Lidl)
1 onion, finely sliced
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar (I've also used honey in the past)
230g can of pineapple pieces in juice (Sainsburys basics)
1/2 cup frozen sliced peppers (use fresh if you've got some)
2 tbsp soy sauce (I use GF Tamari)
 
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp cornflour
 
1.  Heat oil and gently fry onions for about 2 mins
2.  Add vinegar, pineapples and juice, peppers and soy sauce.
3.  Simmer for 5 mins if you want your veggies to stay crunchy or longer if you want them softer.
4.  Mix the cornflour in the water until smooth and add to pan.
5.  Bring to boil and serve.

 
I had some prawns with mine

 
I'd picked up some yellow stickered spring rolls a few weeks ago so The Teenager had these with prawn crackers from Lidl.

 
The Teenager's 'fakeaway.'  He had egg and cashew nuts with his rice as he's veggie
 
 
And here's mine, naturally dairy and GF with no nasty additives :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks