Saturday 15 August 2015

New kitchen on a tight budget Part 1

 
My kitchen is almost finished! HOORAY!!  I am so tired but all the painting and sanding and waxing is finally over.  I've created a unique kitchen for a fraction of the cost of having a new one installed.  The colours are claret and soft sage and brilliant white.  There should be a decal in the space above the cooker but I had a slight mishap(!) with it so a new one has been ordered.

 
This is what it looked like before.  It was filthy and covered in grease.  It was dark, dingy and just not nice to be in.
 
 
Yep, I painted a purple door!!  It'll have hooks to hang up my aprons.  I'm waiting for the joiner to return and custom make a door for the dishwasher and I've still to choose some new flooring to replace the manky floor tiles.  I haven't decided yet what to do.

 
My upcycled whiteboard and console table

 
These cupboards were built for me about a year ago as the kitchen really lacked storage.  This was my biggest expense.
 
I've still to put up my blind (reduced in the John Lewis sale!!) and add a few finishing touches. But all the hard work is finally over.  But was it worth it?  I've gone through phases where I regretted even starting this project.  I've made loads of mistakes, some of which resulted in making more work for myself.  That's a blog post in itself!! 
 
A joiner fitted the cupboards and I got someone in to replaster and tile 2 of the walls. But apart from OH doing the electrical stuff and my lovely mum spending one day helping with the ceiling (it hurts my back rollering a ceiling and this ceiling needed 3 coats of paint!!) I've done everything else all by myself
 
I'm proud of that. 

12 comments:

  1. I love your kitchen and the big cupboard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful - I especially love your big cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new kitchen looks lovely, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks brilliant - you've done a really neat job there well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, looks great! How about a black and white chequerboard effect for the floor tiles? Would match the fresh look of the tiles and the colours would go with your white walls and black dog clock?
    Claire@homesweethome2015

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fresh looking and modern. You deserve to be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatn a great improvement. A nice place to spend time in now.
    Rosezeeta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, looks fab, I love the colour scheme :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wondered what was going on with your kitchen. I love it. Those large cabinets are fantastic! You are going to enjoy it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's wonderful - all the better for having achieved it mostly on your own! It looks really good, very 'you' :) Love the purple :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colour if that door. The whole kitchen looks so fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colour if that door. The whole kitchen looks so fresh.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks