Friday, 15 April 2016
Filling the polytunnel
Over the last few days I've rounded up and thoroughly cleaned my collection of pots and have started to fill the polytunnel. I haven't decided what the best layout is yet so for this year I'll stick to pots and growbags while I do my research. I might build a raised bed, I might not. If anyone has any tips I'd be grateful if you shared them.
These strawberry plants came from my mum's garden. I'll be putting them in a growbag and comparing the yield with my outside ones.
So far I've planted a couple of lettuces, radishes, spinach, squash, peppers, pumpkins, courgettes and peas. And sweet peas! (not all pictured) I've run out of compost so will need to twist The Teenager's arm to come with me to get more. He's got the muscle to lift and shift stuff for me :-)
I found a bag of these labels which I got free with something, can't remember what. I stuck on some Frog masking tape and made some eye catching plant markers.
I planted my rhubarb crown in the space between the polytunnel and the fence but Emma immediately went to investigate what I'd done and trampled all over it. Grrr!! I hope it survives . I stuck in some bamboo canes to stop her going back up there until it establishes itself.
The chickens are fascinated by the polytunnel and kept peering in while I was inside. Then they 'shouted' at me for ages. Funny wee things!