I've finally started painting my utility room. It is the worst room in the house and I knew it would be a big job. OH and I spent last week filling and sanding all the botched DIY stuff from the previous owner. All the sockets had been plastered in! Instead of loosening or removing them they'd plastered right up to the edges. If I'd been keeping them it wouldn't have been a problem but I'm replacing them with the same black/brushed chrome ones I have in my kitchen.
The walls, ceiling and door to the downstairs toilet/wetroom are yellow and the woodwork is varnished pine. The glass door is actually my side entrance and the main door everyone uses to come in. So really the utility room is my entrance hall. I'd like it to look welcoming but it needs to be practical as well.
That big white stripe down the wall was from a partition. Remember this? Although it's taken me nearly 3 years to get round to decorating the whole room! Again the wall had been plastered up to the partition!! So it's taken a bit of work to get it all smooth. Plastering isn't one of our skills but with a bit of patience it's turned out ok.
Before (this wall has a large coat rack)
After the first coat
Doesn't look too bad so far! In this photo you can see the dreadful state of my back door. I'm replacing it and the side glass door with simple white ones.
I'm painting all the walls and woodwork in white. The whole house will be white with splashes of colour here and there. This is not my forever house so I want it to look clean and neutral for when the time comes. I don't want to be in the position of trying to decorate just to sell. Been there, done that!
I've upcycled this wee hook rack that I use to hang the dog leads. It had 4 brass hooks, 2 broken off and 1 bent. I bought 4 aluminium hooks at 99p each and painted the wooden back purple to match the kitchen door. Looks much better and has a practical use.
I've still 2 coats of white to do on the walls and then I'll start the woodwork. That should keep me busy for the rest of the week!