Tuesday 2 January 2018

Realistic


Happy New Year everyone!! (I do love Patsy's outlook!)

I've been hibernating for a couple of weeks as I've been exhausted body and mind.  I struggled through the last weeks of term, luckily not succumbing to any of the nasty bugs.  But I was very very tired. I was ready for a complete break.  Christmas was low key but lovely.  And now suddenly it's 2018!  Huge apologies to the winners of my giveaway as I wasn't able to get to a PO during opening hours before Christmas.  But rest assured they will be on their way tomorrow when it re opens.

I don't make resolutions but I do make plans (more of them tomorrow).  This year I have decided I will be realistic.  As much as I would love to lose more weight/do more exercise/declutter my house/create world peace 🌍 I need to be realistic about what I can achieve by myself and with the constraints my job puts on my time and energy.  So my word for the year for 2018 is REALISTIC. I'll say more about that tomorrow.


Today I ventured out to the supermarket for the first time in 2 weeks.  My huge shop lasted all the way through Christmas and New Year but I was out of fresh fruit and veg.  I knew there would be some bargains to be had so I went prepared.  I scored a few yellow stickers of beetroot (half price), spring onions 20p, 1kg potatoes 10p, 1 kg carrots 10p (not in pic) and 2 packs of my favourite GF wraps reduced by from £3.80 to £2.54.  I only ever buy these wraps when they're on offer as they're ridiculously expensive!!


Most of the premium party food was half price so I got a few things like pigs in blankets, pigs in blankets in Yorkshire pudding and ham hock croquettes (not in pic) for DS and OH's Teenogre.  All well within date so they'll freeze perfectly.  I also got a frozen 2kg turkey crown, now defrosting in the fridge.  All the frozen turkey stuff was half price so worth looking at if you're stocking up the freezer.  I might go back and get another one for the freezer once I've taken DS's food back to him (He's defrosting his freezer!) as I've got tons of room now all the Christmas food has been eaten.

Usually things like vacuum packed chestnuts and fancy stuffing mixes are reduced but they were still full price.  I like to stock up on them as they're useful for padding out meals cheaply.  I'll keep an eye on them over the next few weeks.

All in all a good start to the year 😊


6 comments:

  1. Good post, we all want the same as your list, but realistic is a good word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year. I do like the idea of plans rather than resolutions and I'm looking forward to reading about yours. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done with the bargains! I have to agree that being realistic is far better than being overly-optimistic. I tend to be the latter and it is counter-productive most of the time. Have a great year in 2018 and keep on frugaling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thinking Ali. Hope this term goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year. I've made a list of goals I hope to achieve, but its just things like, drink more water; read more books; tidy the overflowing cupboards etc etc so really quite realistic anyway! I've not been to the supermarket yet, can't face it but I may need to go tomorrow :( x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're feeling well rested ready for the madness when you go back to work. Love all your great bargains.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks