Friday 3 August 2018

Day 5: Cook, Clean, Clear and Create


Today's cook is really prep for a family meal tomorrow.  OH's daughter (the one in the army) is home on leave and it's her birthday.  Sometimes we go out for a meal but as there are 7 of us it can be expensive and honestly sometimes the food is just ok. So OH asked if I would do my Chinese buffet here.  Of course!  I love cooking for a crowd and I can control what goes into it.

So, I'm marinading a Lidl beef joint (silverside) in Tamari (GF soy sauce), Worcester sauce, brown sugar, white wine, sesame oil, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 inch piece of ginger and 2 tsp of Chinese 5 spice powder.  Tomorrow I'll pop it into the slow cooker and make Chinese spiced pulled beef.  We'll also have a chicken dish and a prawn dish served with fried rice, noodles and prawn crackers.


My create was taking these 2 framed photos to DS's flat.  The photos were taken a lifetime ago at Skibo Castle (where Madonna got married to Guy Ritchie) by a famous photographer.  We weren't members but our friends invited us.


John Swannell signed this one so it might be worth something some day (ha ha!!) but as it has the ex in it, it's been stuffed in a cupboard.

DS had a lovely watercolour painting but the frame and mount were damaged.  My idea was to take 2 pictures apart and create a new one.


I reused the mount and frame from the friends photo to make a new picture with the watercolour painting. It looks much better than this photo of it!  It's a lovely view of Schiehallion above Loch Rannoch.  As a family we spent a lot of time there when DS was young so it means something to him.  We hung the new picture on his wall.  DS loves it and it was free!! Some more details HERE

My clean and clear task for tonight will be the dining room for the meal tomorrow.  

9 comments:

  1. You are keeping busy, lots of lovely things being made, your meal sounds wonderful. Your reuse of the frame is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I can repair the other frame so I'll be able to use it as well :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely create today and hope everyone enjoys the buffet. I’ve jusy watched “The Greatest Showman”- slightly surreal! It was zero cost as a friend lent me it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it on the plane and loved it especially the songs!! Although the story did have a few holes in it!

      Delete
    2. Mighty big holes but I thought all the young cast were excellent. Lily James was a revelation as a singer. Thought Cher was awful though.

      Delete
  3. The Chinese Buffet sounds delicious, hope you take pictures. That was so nice ti rejuvenate those pictures for your son, as they will mean so much to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to take pictures before it gets eaten!!

      Delete
  4. I love your cook, clean, clear and create ideas. I think I may have to adopt the idea as my life could really use some reorganization right now. The buffet sounds delicious. Hope to see some photos. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling a bit better thanks. I think it's lurgy from traveling on planes!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks