Sunday 9 September 2018

Fastest weekend ever!!


And all of a sudden it's Sunday night and the weekend is over! 😔 But I have tried to be busy and productive.  I tidied up my back garden and pulled out lots of weeds.  My wee garden is still producing edible things.  I planted some Aldi raspberries earlier this year (gift from my lovely mum), variety All Gold.  To my surprise they're an Autumn fruiting raspberry and there's lots of them just about ready to eat.

I checked the wandering pumpkin vines (they're out of control!!!) and discovered a teeny butternut squash and a mystery green squash.  It's definitely not a courgette but I have no idea what it is.  When the seeds didn't sprout after 2 weeks (I thought they weren't viable as they were a few years past the sow by date) I emptied the pots into the garden and just left the compost on the surface.    And threw away the packets too!  We'll wait and see if they grow big enough to harvest.

I used a small leek and some parsley in a big pot of Chicken and Rice soup.  That's my 5 lunches for the week sorted.


I made Chipotle Plum Chutney with the free plums and apples. I didn't have normal chilli flakes so used Chipotle ones.  It packs a punch!! Recipe HERE.  I forgot to add the onions.  Duh! I realised at the end so cooked them in the microwave then added them to the pan for 10 minutes before potting.  Tasted fine so hopefully it'll be ok.  It made 5 x 1lb jars and 2 x 1/2lb ones.  It'll be matured and ready to eat by Christmas. 😋🎄


I painted a door purple 💜 and primed all the stripped and sanded orange pine skirting and door frames.  What a difference the white primer makes already.  Might paint it tomorrow after work, depends on how tired I am!!


Speaking of tired... Both OH and I completely forgot that we had tickets to go see Janey Godley here in Stirling on Friday night.  She's a Scottish comedian who has had an 'interesting' life!  Very funny, swears a lot! Best known outside Scotland for her 2016 viral sign letting Trump know he wasn't welcome in Scotland!!  Really annoyed we let that slip as we deliberately didn't see her at The Fringe in the Summer as we had these tickets.  Ah well.

Back to work tomorrow and already planning next weekend's DIY jobs! 🔨

11 comments:

  1. You did better than me and I'm retired! I seem to get these really lethargic days every now and then and yesterday was one of them. I did virtually nothing all day. :( My garden produce is almost done now. I've still got leeks and some cucumbers growing but although there's a few tomatoes the majority are now harvested. I have a huge apple tree full of red apples to pick but I'm trying to put that off until I have more room to store them! We don't eat chutney so I don't make it anymore. I tried to grow squash this year but although it grew and flowered I got no fruit whatsoever on it. Have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you need time to do nothing to recharge your batteries. Like me every Friday night!!

      I've tried to grow pumpkins and winter squashes every year I've been here. They always rot when they get to the size of a tennis ball. I've been deliberately neglecting these ones just to see how they get on!

      Delete
  2. You've certainly packed a lot into this weekend. Back to work for a rest?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes!! Mondays are mostly non contact so a 'rest' in that I don't teach but I do have several meetings and planning tomorrow

      Delete
  3. I think it's everyday which whizzes by and I'm no longer working. Love the purple door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy weekend but all making a difference. I’m really enjoying rasps this year but always buy scottish ones during the season. I’m prepping lots of ideas for my voluntary classes and making five Harry Potter wreaths for sale. My charoty pot is growing nicely but I’m losing focus and there’s stuff everywhere. Today I am going to tidy up and then make a priority list. Do you have a September holiday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat fresh Scottish rasps! Sadly no September weekend for us. It's straight through to the October break

      Delete
  5. Autumn Gold is a lovely variety - makes one of the best jams. Even if you only have a few spare raspberries you can make it easily as it's equal amounts of fruit and sugar - even a wee pot is worth it. Love the pumpkins :)

    Sarah
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doubt they'll last long enough to make jam! Does it stay yellow?

      Delete
    2. Sort of - a 'cooked yellow' colour

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks