Sunday 7 October 2018

More meal prep


Thanks for all the lovely supportive comments on my last post.  It really helps keep me going 👍

As it's Sunday that meant meal prepping for the week ahead.  Meal prep now means I prepare some ingredients (rather than full meals) that will help make fast meals when I get home tired from work.  Thankfully there's only 5 teaching days until my October break! Yesterday I got a 2kg bag of red lentils for £3.  It's normally £3.80 so just a small saving but it all helps.  It will last me for months.


I like decanting them into my glass jars for tidier storage but 2 kg of lentils won't fit into a 1litre jar!! 


Obviously this week's soup had to be some sort of lentil.  I had some carrots, red onions and sweet potatoes lurking in the fridge and cupboard along with half a carton of chopped tomatoes.  This big pot of Spicy Tomato and Lentil produced  7 very generous portions so that's my lunches sorted plus a few for the freezer.


I poached 3 chicken breasts and shredded them.  I'll get 5 meals out of this lot, probably stir frys or pasta.  I find shredding the meat makes it go further.  Very useful when OH and The Teenogre are around as they eat SO MUCH MEAT!!!  Last weekend I made a vat of beef stew with 1.5kg of meat, loads of root veg and dumplings.  They pretty much ate the lot in one sitting!!!  I had planned on a few meals using the leftovers!

I made a chocolate cake and some muffins from the Betty Crocker GF Devil's Food mix.  Again OH and The Teenogre demolished them last night but I did manage to sneak a few muffins into freezer for later 😁

I also tried a new recipe but the jury's still out on it.  It's a Tuna and Egg Mayonnaise salad.  Can't say I'm loving it but I've made a big tub of it so I'll have to eat it.  Maybe I'll put it on oatcakes as part of my lunch.

Tonight I'll prep a few bowls of overnight oats for breakfast then I'm sorted 😋 Cannot wait until Friday now!!

7 comments:

  1. I made broccoli, cauliflower, potato, onion and spinch soup- in other words fridge bottom soup. Husband said it smelled disgusting but after it was blitzed he ate it anyway! Definitely needing hot food now so we had stir fried chicken with eg and grains. It was very tasty. Fingers crossed it’s a better week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that sounds a fab soup!!

      Here's hoping for a better week!

      Delete
  2. Lentils are wonderful in soup and I always add some to my savoury mince, both for flavour and for frugality. It doesn't hurt that they are good for you too! And, as you say, every little helps.
    Well done on the meal plans and preparation.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I add lentils to my bolagnaise sauce and a few other things. Nobody notices and it stretches the mince further!

      Delete
  3. It's so bloody annoying when they eat all your cooking, my hubby is the same, pile it high. I have started cooking smaller portions, not the most economical way, but if I cook extra portion it does not always get to the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a man thing!! At least OH eats the veggies. I've started putting bread out too in the hope The Teenogre will fill up on that!

      Delete
  4. Hi, will look forward to seeing your recipes to use up the lentils. I bought a bag with good intentions last year but didn't know how to use them and i'm sad to say that they ended up in the bin. Would love to learn some good recipes using them x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks