Sunday 20 January 2019

Name my new chickens!


I got new chickens yesterday!  They're not really rescues but they're 'rescued' from a commercial free range flock who were selling off one of their flocks. It was dark when we got back home so they were popped into the coop and the door closed.  The first photo is them just after I opened the door.


There was a bit of squabbling with Penny (black one on the right) but by the time I took apples out at lunchtime things seem to have settled down.


I've left the enclosure gate open now so they can free range for the afternoon.  It will be interesting to see if I can get them back in later!!

So far the new girls have both laid an egg 😊 Their eggs are darker than Penny's so I know it's def them.  The black and white one is a Speckledy hen and the brown one is an Isa Brown, both prolific egg laying breeds.  At 18 months old they should still lay 3 or 4 eggs a week.  Not enough for a commercial flock apparently but perfectly fine for me.

They don't have names yet so leave me any suggestions in the comments.


As ever Emma takes it all in her stride.  Or should I say sleep!!! 😴

6 comments:

  1. Tuppence and Thruppence seems appropriate.😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isa and Mildred jumped into my head when I read this! lol. I'd love chickens but hubby won't let me. He says I'd get too upset if a fox got them. He's probably right. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of Isa for the brown one. It's easy to fox proof a run ;-)

      Delete
  3. Awww, they are lovely! My Mum came home with3 bantums when I was a teen and I loved them! What about Marmalade for the Marmalade coloured one and Pepper for the speckled one!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks