Monday 16 September 2019

Sneaky Supermarket!


I popped into Sainsbury's at lunchtime to pick up a few things.  I had around £24 cash in my purse and wanted to use that instead of my credit card.  I used the calculator on my phone to add up the cost as I went round (this really concentrates my mind on 'do I really need this?') 😄 My total was exactly £24.50.

However, when I went through the checkout the total was £26.65.  I had to use my card!  I checked my receipt and nothing seemed amiss but how did my shopping come to be £2 more than my total???

I'm guessing the shelf ticket prices didn't match the till prices.  Very sneaky! And I'm sure it's illegal!!

Since I'm making an effort to get back to more frugal ways, in future I'll be noting the ticket prices and comparing them to my receipt!  Then I'll be complaining 😠

10 comments:

  1. Here in Toronto - if the item scans at a different price from the sticker or shelf price then you get it for free up to $10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what this supermarket's policy is but I'll definitely be challenging it in the future!!

      Delete
  2. Same in Alberta, I check my receipt before I leave the store and I get things free on a regular basis. We shop on a Friday, that is when the new weekly flyer prices come into affect. Problem is that they often haven't got around to changing the price on the shelf yet!! When you go to customer service to get the refund they have to write it down and they always have a big long list of refunds they've had to give out. You'd think they'd learn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing customers just trust what the till says at the end. I'm really annoyed at this and will be checking more closely in future!!

      Delete
  3. It is illegal, and if there is a discrepancy the shop will give you a refund. I sometimes do the same as you if I'm only doing a small shop, adding up the prices on my phone. I try to remember to check my receipt before I leave the shop, and go to Customer Services if I find a discrepancy, which happens more often than you'd think. Just think of all the money the supermarkets are getting off us when we don't check receipts! They may be small amounts, but soon add up - especially when it's happened to a lot of customers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they're taking a few pounds off thousands of customers every day then that adds up to huge profits for them. I'm on a mission to check my receipts more closely in future!

      Delete
  4. That's very naughty of them. It's easy to thing 'oh, it's only a bit' but those bits mount up and, as Sooze says, just think of how much it is making for the supermarket.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, huge profits for them!!! I'm on it now!

      Delete
  5. We have had this happen many times and luckily we always question it and get our money back. If the shop has displayed a price they have to let you have it at that price. It is disgusting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I've never been a regular checker of receipts but I am now!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks