Sunday 19 January 2020

Growing more this year




Goal no 6 for 2020 is to 'Grow more fruit and vegetables.' I went to the allotment this morning to see how the winter veggies I planted have fared.  Spoiler alert!  Not that well!!

If I still have this plot within the veggie patch for the rest of this year, I'll need to enrich the soil.  Stuff has survived but it clearly isn't thriving.


I also did a wee video of my garden to show the difference.  The polytunnel hasn't been successful in growing the winter veg but the raised beds at the front are a bit more successful.  Shame I can't actually remember what I've planted!!


Leeks and kale I planted from seed last spring/summer plus some self seeded parsley.



This bed definitely had the kale plants and possibly cauliflower (?) plants, it's hard to tell.  This year I really must label everything more clearly.

Looking back at my emails I've remembered that I spent just over £51 on 80 plants because I wanted to try to extend my growing season outwith my usual summer months.  I'm really not sure it's worth it based on the results so far and definitely not frugal!!

6 comments:

  1. You have to try these things to know, I believe. You've given it a go and learnt.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always learning! I don't think I'll be buying plants again, I'll just stick to seeds this year, then I can compare. I really need to work on enriching the soil, both at home and at the allotment xxx

      Delete
  2. You are lucky to be able to grow stuff over the winter. The only thing I plant in the Fall is garlic but it stays dormant until the Spring and is ready to pick in July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not tried it before so it was a bit of an experiment. I found a YouTuber who lives in the north of England who grows all year round in a similar climate to here. I'm not giving up hope yet! xxx

      Delete
  3. I bought some plugs last year for summer growth and they didn't do as well as my seeds normally do! I'm not sure if its because they were bought from the south of England and got a shock when they came up here as we had a very cold spring last year! Anyway I vowed it would be seeds from now on.
    I can't be bothered with the garden in winter. I aspire to overwinter some stuff but I know it will get forgotten about and get neglected so I don't even try. That said I planted some garlic in October and so far its doing really well, fingers crossed.
    I bought some seed potatoes yesterday. Last year I bought Wilja potatoes and they did exceptionally well in large tubs in the garden so I'm hoping for the same this year.
    I'm sure your garden and allotment will soon perk up once there is more daylight and less rain!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm looking forward to more daylight!! I'm thinking Winter gardening is just not viable this far north. But then again I do think that it's my soil needing some work. I'll do a bit more research before deciding xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks