Monday 27 January 2020

More monthly savings


I had a bank appointment this afternoon to talk about how to organise my finances going forward.  Long story short, I have swapped my fee paying current account for a free one AND it gives me 0.5% interest!! I didn't know that my bank was merging with Virgin Money so that was a surprise.  Changing accounts was so easy.  I get a new card but everything else is exactly the same, even my PIN stays the same.  But the best bit is I save £13.50 a month 🎉🎉🎉

That takes my monthly savings to £62.50, which is £750 a year!!!!  And I have one more monthly saving to work on, hopefully sorted by next month.


While I was in town I popped into TK Maxx.  I always have a good look round and vow never to spend more than £10 if it's unplanned.  I picked up 48 fibre pots for starting off seedlings.  £4.99


I also got a bag of dried mealworms for the chickens and wee ground feeding birds.  The girls love them.  You can see them staring at the bag for more!  It was £6 so total spend of £10.99 (99p over my budget but it was worth it!) That leaves me with £11.31 cash to last until Friday.  Totally doable! 😀

8 comments:

  1. Gosh, you're doing really well with whittling down these monthly outgoings, it really does all add up doesn't it and is really worth doing.

    You have this month sorted … just a couple of days to go :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been quite exciting to see where I can make wee changes and they do add up quickly. I've already transferred the £13.50 into my savings :-)

      Delete
  2. Well done, it's a good feeling to know you have saved more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm feeling rather chuffed with myself! Lol :-)

      Delete
  3. Well done. We have one of those accounts too and it was mainly for the travel insurance we went for it. Given we're not travelling all that much any more I think we'd perhaps be better to look into travel insurance on its own now! Retirement will be a doddle for you!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! My account had travel insurance, mobile phone insurance (have that any way) and Green Flag breakdown (I have Honda Assist which is basically the AA) So I was paying extra for stuff I already had!! I think I also had a good overdraft facility but I've never had an overdraft in my life! It was a good reminder to check stuff (like insurance policies maybe) and see if I still need them xxx

      Delete
  4. We had a visit to our bank last year, and reviewed our accounts, and did the same as you, saving the monthly fees, plus we changed our credit card a better deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been on my mind for a wee while but I thought it would be such a hassle (remembering back to previous experiences of changing accounts!) The appointment took 20 mins from start to finish!!

      I def recommend everyone at least looks at their accounts to see if they're still working for them!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks