Thursday 20 February 2020

Goodbye polytunnel


In between the rain, sleet, snow and brilliant sunshine this morning,  I took down the remains of the polytunnel.  The metal frame was completely bent and broken and the cover was ripped to shreds in places.  I removed all the pots and my cold frame.  My strawberry plants (wild and cultivated) have all survived but nothing else flourished.  I guess my climate just isn't right for growing throughout the Winter or my level of expertise isn't up to it!  Probably both!!😄


I moved the Omlet fencing to stop the girls getting onto the stones area.  I'll let them eat up the remains of my spinach, cabbages and spring onions that the slugs didn't get.  I also found a wee toad so hope he/she finds a new safe place to live away from curious chickens!


It really is a mucky area at the moment so I need to give some serious thought to how I'm going to use this space.  It's 3 metres by 3 metres.  It gets the sun in the morning and late afternoon in Winter and sun most of the day in Summer.  I'm thinking maybe some raised beds for herbs and edible flowers.  I'll need do some research on prices first.

6 comments:

  1. RIP polytunnel. The chooks will enjoy their bounty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly they're too busy hiding from this never ending wind/rain/sleet/snow. Poor wee things

      Delete
  2. Isn't this weather atrocious. You were lucky to be able to get out in the garden at all this week. I've barely taken the dog a walk never mind go out in the garden!! I've no idea whats been blown away and right now, I don't even care! My hubby built some raised beds for me using some decking planks. You might be able to get some free on freecycle then you just need some two by twos in the four corners and stick them in the soil, nail the wood on (cut to size of course) and bobs your uncle hahahaha!! Did you see how easy that was lol. However I'm pretty sure your diy skills are far better than mine so it might be worth a try! Stay dry! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is awful isn't it? Emma is refusing to go out into the garden, never mind a walk!! I've used decking planks on the allotment to make beds so might do that again :-)

      Delete
  3. Aww, poor polytunnel. Luckily mine is rooted in concrete footings and the cover kept very tight so although it sounds dreadful when it blowing a hooley, the polytunnel stays exactly where it is.

    That bit of ground would be ideal for a good raised bed, then you could buy some of the low level hooped mini-tunnels to go just over your earlier crops. You can get polythene or net ones, I have always found the net ones good.

    I hope the toad escapes the chickens, it's good to have a slug eating toad in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm planning a raised bed or 2. Good idea re the mini tunnels :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks