Monday 21 February 2022

The lost art of convalescence

 


Convalescence (noun): time spent recovering from an illness or medical treatment; recuperation

Convalescence is a very old fashioned term, a lost art.  It conjures images of those wealthy Victorian ladies visiting spa towns to take in the sea air and drink the waters.  Even poor working class Victorians had the luxury of seaside or countryside convalescent homes, thanks to the foresight of Florence Nightingale no less!  Back then it was TB spreading rapidly causing people to be ill (hmm, I'm sensing a bit of a parallel here!) Rest, fresh air and nutritious food were what the doctor ordered.

Then antibiotics appeared on the scene and the need for long recovery periods has gradually disappeared.  And somehow we've ended up in this situation where it's expected that we take the drugs and soldier on until our bodies (ok my body) refuses to cooperate with this theory.

I typed convalescence into Google and fell down the rabbit hole of fictional 18th century heroines in bed for months and Victorian sanitation and housing issues.  But it was interesting to note the shift in thinking for the 21st century.  How quickly patients are discharged from hospital charged with a bottle of pills and a leaflet of instructions.  When I had my first baby in the mid 80s I was in hospital for 5 days.  When I had my 3rd in the late 90s I was back home within 24 hours.  And I believe it can be even quicker than that now!


Even when the illness has been dealt with, it's the immune system that needs to be looked after. And it takes a pounding if you rush straight back to the environment that made you sick in the first place! In my case, 3 times within 3 months!!! Antibiotics deal with the nasty guys causing the infection but we know they also kill off some of the good guys in your system too. 

So, once my antibiotics are finished (tomorrow) I'm starting on a course of super strength probiotics.  I have an actual in person doctor's appointment on Wednesday to get a thorough check up.  Weather permitting I'm going outside as often as I can to breathe in fresh air.  I'm eating a ton of good fruit and veggies and I've found this useful website HERE I'm being really proactive this time so I don't get sick again.  Third time lucky, eh?

I also have a plan to speak with my union and the other local school reps.  I really want to investigate this toxic culture of feeling guilty and pressure to return asap when we're off work sick.  It's actually making us more ill in the long run.


*steps off*


17 comments:

  1. Well done you, the work pressures today are immense, and the guilt piles on, even when I had been off sick, they still phone you for information, there is no rest in the fast world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've been contacted in the past when I'm off. I deliberately do not have work email or any of the apps we use in school to be in contact with parents on my phone. I'm not available 24/7! My HT set up a staff Whatsapp group so she could 'get in touch quickly' but I mute it at night, weekends and holidays. I check it when I want to instead of hearing that bloody ping at 11pm or 5.30am cos someone wants to share a 'good link.' Both true incidents!!!

      Delete
  2. Did you see this article in The Guardian?
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/jan/18/recovery-the-lost-art-of-convalescence-by-dr-gavin-francis-review-the-art-of-getting-better
    It's a book review but it looks a useful sort of book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see the article but I did come across the book in my Google search. I put in 'lost art of convalescence' and was shocked that an actual book has been written about it!! And just last month! He's actually Scottish so I looked up his website too (and ordered the book!!)

      Delete
  3. Reading lots of diaries set in wartime I'm always surprised at how often people took to their beds with the flu or any other illness - resting was seen as the thing to make people better.
    Now resting is being lazy!
    When did it all change?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently when my grandmother had a hysterectomy in the late 1940’s, she spent six months in a convalescent home. She had five children, the youngest would have been around five years old. Grandad was a coal miner, so the second oldest child who was around 14, was taken out of school to look after the younger ones and the house. He never went back to school.... My mom was the only girl and she was too young or it would have been her job no doubt. But Uncle Alf got the short straw.
    Different times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Different times indeed. Even taking into account more modern surgical procedures, it's just 6 to 8 weeks recovery now. Your poor uncle!

      Delete
  5. I as out of hospital with my youngest (12) after less than 4 hours. I'm in hospital this week for breast cancer surgery - and it's expected to be a day case, so I'll be home the same day. I work in a school - it will be interesting to see how long it takes for someone to email me a query - I'm hoping they don't- most know what I'm off and I have an out of office on with no return date specified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope all goes well with your surgery and you get plenty of time to recover properly. Don't even look at your emails!!

      Delete
  6. Another aspect of illness and convalescence I've long been interested in is the psychological and emotional effects of being ill - the toll taken from the illness itself as well as the aftermath. Is there anything in the book about this side of things do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book arrives today so I'll let you know. I believe there is so it will be interesting to see if he mentions it xxx

      Delete
  7. You are absolutely right. After my daughter had covid recently she rushed back to work as soon as she tested negative and guess what, she was off again the following week cos she felt ill. I told her she needs to build up her body and her immune system again. She believes me now!! I hope you recuperate and feel stronger soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told that it's really common for folk to get a second virus quickly after the Omicron variant. And I'm hearing it from folk who rushed straight back to work after the 10 days isolation or as soon as they tested negative. Tell her to take as much time as she needs to feel well or she'll be off again!! xxx

      Delete
  8. I have heard that rushing back to work too soon after an illness causes all kinds of problems, not the least becoming ill once again. Hope that you can have a good discussion with the union and reps about this.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to make you more vulnerable to other viruses. I've started the discussion with the union and we'll see how far I can go with it

      Delete
  9. A very good post. Been to work today after a subluxation of my shoulder last evening. Stung a bit! Sould I rest...nah...can I work an extra shift on Saturday. The joys of hybpermobility and care work combined. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouchy!! I'm sure you know how to look after yourself but do take care xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks