Friday 31 March 2023

March Spending

 

I can't believe it's the end of March already and I've been off work for a couple of weeks now.  Yesterday was the first day I've actually felt physically well 😊 but I'm still in no rush to go back.  I've made an appt with the mental health practitioner at my GP surgery but it's not for another 2 weeks.  My colleagues sent me flowers and chocolates to say they were thinking about me.  Schools break up today for the Easter holiday.  I have a wee group chat with my work besties and this morning they all said they hate work right now.  Something is very wrong when good teachers say they hate their job 😞

Even though I've been at home most of the month (actually had time to bake a fruit loaf!) it's been a bit of a spendy one.

My March supermarket total was £207.96!  YIKES!! I did stock up on freezer items (veggies etc) and meat.  Some of it was cold/flu stuff plus many pouches of fruit pastilles as they soothed my sore throat and Lemsip type hot drink sachets. Even going for own brand medicines, it quickly adds up!  I also did a 'poor me' shop where I got a few ready made snacks 😳

My pet total of £139.08 was higher this month as Emma had a vet checkup because she's on daily steroids.  She'll need a 4 monthly checkup from now on.

My Amazon spend was lower at £91.64 which was a few DIY items.

And my miscellaneous 'other' spending was only £42.38.

Total for March £481.06

When I started my 4 year challenge the aim was to keep my spending under £500 so I guess I'm still on track. Selling the flat and incurring so many out of the ordinary costs has skewed my savings plan.  Although I did put my flat deposit money back into my savings.  I need to have a good think about how I progress now that my retirement is imminent! 


It's time to start off my seedlings so here's some tomatoes (Roma and Aurora) already up.  Plus there's some squash, sweetcorn and courgettes still propagating!


I've also started off my red onion sets in cells so that when they're planted it's harder for the birds to pull them out!!

The clocks going forward last weekend really knocked me for six again (bit like jet lag which is pretty common apparently) but it does feel a bit more Spring like here despite the rainy weather! ☔

Edited to add fruit loaf recipe so I can find it again as I donated that cookbook!!

Soak overnight:  350g mixed dried fruit, 30g brown sugar, 150ml hot strong tea, glug of whisky        Mix: 2 large eggs and 50ml water or milk and add to fruit mixture with 1 grated apple                          Sieve 225g of SR flour with 1 tsp mixed spice and add to mixture                                                      Bake in lined loaf tin for 1 hour at 170C or 150C fan or Gas 3

16 comments:

  1. I always admire these monthly round ups of spending. I'm a head in the sand person and will be caught out one of these days I'm sure!
    Fruit loaf looks lovely, therapeutic to be baking. Take care.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because I had my head in the sand and did get caught out that I started keeping a track of every single penny. Seeing it written down really helps! :-)

      Delete
  2. Something is very wrong with the whole system when good teachers are hating their jobs. Teaching is a caring profession that people go into because they love it and they really want to make a difference. If we lose all the good teachers what is our country going to become! :-(

    You've managed to keep your spending below the £500 which is good, and having a month where you have some treats when you have been so unwell has just got to be accepted. You can make up more savings once all the crops are feeding you and your supermarket bill plummets.

    I think my comments on here are ending up in your spam box because I definintely commented on your last post. Perhaps it's no good me telling you this here as this one might just join them!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've checked my spam and moderation folders and there's nothing there. Very odd!! Treating yourself when you're ill is important so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

      I was a wee bit sad this morning to realise my friends are struggling at work too. They're just happy for the holidays to begin now :-)

      Delete
  3. Your seedlings are looking good.
    Teachers hating their jobs is just so wrong. So many schools have vacancies for teachers makes it harder for all the rest, then there is doctors and nurses the same - I despair of what things will be like for my grandchildren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that a lot of public sector workers are struggling from cuts and lack of funding. I read an education article yesterday that a third of all teachers leave the profession within the first 10 years. All that training and expertise lost. I worry too what it will be like for future generations

      Delete
  4. Great looking fruit loaf-I like mine warm with some custard. It’s dreich here today which kind of suits how I feel. I have decided some housework will keep me warm so off to clean the bathrooms. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreich here too! Knitting and watching Ripper Street instead of house work!! :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Ali, sorry to read you are not well. Get well soon x Am also admiring of your spending. Well your recording. I e upped my saving each month while I can but I do know I spend too much!
    I chuckled at the thought of little birdies flying around with onion breath!!!! Rache ( Eternally 28 x )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I find writing down every single penny makes me stop and think at the very least. The birds don't actually eat the onions, they just like pulling them out!! Lol! :-)

      Delete
  6. Still keeping below that mark is great. When one is ill it seems like you want to spend a bit more. Look at all those growing veggies.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a low spend January and February so I think I was just disappointed when I added it up. Looking at my seedlings makes me ridiculously happy! :-)

      Delete
  7. Food spending in particular (well, most spending on bills right now) is hard to keep down with costs going up every week. My SiL was a teacher for 30 years, loved it but hated the stress and strain of the Ofsted stuff and silly new rules they had to obey, she was glad to retire. Her husband, my bro, was a police officer also for 30 years, he absolutely hated the job by the time he retired, couldn't wait to leave. Seems like all those professions (education, health, emergency services) are driving staff away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, food costs are definitely rising again even though I try to be careful. It's such a shame so many experienced professionals are walking away from their careers because they hate it. All that expertise and experience gone. In the last year I know a police inspector and a fire station commander (I think that was his title) who just said I've had enough. One is making wood items and the other is a gym instructor now. Even politicians (Jacinda and Nicola) are done with it all. I'm not making a political statement at all!! :-)

      Delete
  8. I am glad you are on the mend. You have done well with your spending considering nothing is going down in price. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Still got a wee irritating cough but it's so much better than it was! The cost of everything is just scary although I did get a few good clubcard deals in Tesco yesterday :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks