Friday 25 August 2023

Sourdough and weeds

 

I managed to make a half decent sourdough loaf!  Look at those holes, I'm so chuffed!!  It's chewy and moist with a nice crust.  Almost perfect 😋

I made a very quick visit to the plot and pulled up the brown onions as the green leaves were falling over.  They range in size from a golf ball to a cricket ball in size.  No idea how/why they do that when they all had the same growing conditions 🙄

I picked some more brambles (blackberries) to add to the freezer bag.


I picked some cucumbers and have already started a batch of bread and butter pickles.

There's a lot of debate going on in my allotment site's FB group about weeds.  Mainly what to do with the current over abundance of them!  Many plot holders dump them (and their waste plants) in a semi-designated area on the river bank but it's clear that there's just too much of it.  So we're looking at ways to deal with them.  One of my plot friends is passionate about composting everything including weeds with seeds.  She has 6 compost bins and spends a lot of time turning the contents.  


I like watching Huw Richards on YouTube and he recommends using weeds to make different types of feed.  So I'm going to trial that.  I'm pretty good at identifying the weeds on my plot and finding out if they have any benefits/uses but I'm stuck on these 2 in the above photo.  I think the one on the left is smartweed (?) but the other one I can't identify.  It has a single tiny pink flower and the stalks go wispy once they're done flowering.  See above close up of the pretty 2 tone pink flower.  t's not rose bay willow herb as it doesn't have a flower spike.  Using a plant ID app and googling pink wispy weed hasn't yielded a decent answer for me so if anyone in the UK can identify it I'd be grateful.

Of course I can't end a post without a photo of my pretty girl lying in a patch of sunlight yesterday.  This puppy has caused me so much stress and worry.  Fingers crossed we're almost out of the danger zone and so can get her second lot of vaccinations next Thursday! Then it's walkies and a whole new set of stresses!!!

18 comments:

  1. That sourdough looks perfect! Sourdough making is so hit and miss isn't it - well, it is for me, one of the reasons why I gave up. Lovely lot of produce from your allotment, sorry I can't help with the weed identification. I love your little girl's ears, I bet they're really soft and strokeable! Fingers crossed that she can have her jabs soon. Taking them out for that first walk is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made sourdough gf bread before and it was very hit and miss!! I'll feel a lot happier once she can get her jabs. She's already overdue cos she's been so ill. She loves being in the garden so I'm guessing walkies will be very exciting! :-)

      Delete
  2. I couldn't think what the one on the left was except it starts with poly..... so I googled and got knotweed or smartweed - as you said! The right looks so like a mini version of rosebay but I have no idea.
    Hope you get to the 2nd lot of vaccinations without any more problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed she stays well until next Thursday then she can get her jabs! :-)

      Delete
  3. The loaf is gorgeous and so much better healthier than the bought stuff. No idea about the weeds but they are pretty. Luna is growing apace and it will be such fun to read of her adventures once she gets out in the big wide world. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plant on the right looks like hoary willowherb (epilobium parviflorum), on the left prostrate knotweed (polygonum aviculare). The willowherb has various medicinal uses to treat the urinary tract and related issues; the knotweed has several uses eg anti inflammatory and diuretic, ancient use in porridge- related to buckwheat. Loaf looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah!! I should have just asked you in the first place :-)

      Delete
    2. I am available for pub quizzes too ;) lol x

      Delete
  5. Luna looks so sweet! I almost miss having a puppy... 'Suma is 6yrs and I enjoy this peaceful and still active time with her.
    That mystery weed is somekind of epilobium, maybe epilobium montanum - problem is, that they cross pollinate easily and it might not be "pure" something at all. And they all look very similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got quite a few of them on the plot and just wondered if they had a use :-)

      Delete
  6. The one on the left is a bistort or redshank, a type of polygonum and the one on the right is a type of willowherb, a smaller relative of the rosebay willowherb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, impressive sourdough loaf! Good luck with Luna's health, I bet you're looking forward to getting out and about with her.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was rather pleased with myself :-)

      Delete
  8. Your loaf is really impressive and very attractive, well done! I use the plantnet app for my work and it's never let me down.
    Beautiful pic of Luna in the light - she looks like a renaissance painting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, that loaf looks wonderful. Lately I have been looking up weeds to use in salves and such. Finding lots of info on First Nations uses which is wonderful. Pretty sure people call me the crazy weed picking lady.

    Sorry I can't help you with the identification of that weed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy being called the crazy weed picking lady!! :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks