Monday 2 October 2023

Chinese Plum Sauce


I popped down to visit my Lovely Mum in hospital yesterday with my DIL to help me puppy wrangle.  Luna isn't used to travelling in the car yet so I need someone with me.  I had made a load of healthy ready meals to put in mum's freezer ready for her when she comes home.  But I had to remove a ton of home grown fruit to make room (with her permission!)

So today I started using up some of the fruit as my freezer is full to bursting and made a Chinese style plum sauce.  I didn't have all the spices needed so I improvised a bit.  I trebled this recipe HERE as I had almost 3kg (6lbs) of plums that my mum's neighbour gave her.  But here's my version.

  • 3kg plums, halved and stoned
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 1 and a half cups cider vinegar
  • 2 and a quarter cups brown sugar
  • 3/4 of a cup Tamari
  • 6 tbsp chopped ginger
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 3 tsp salt
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 12 cloves 
I simmered it for about 2 hours as the plums were very watery from being in the freezer.  I blitzed it with a stick blender and put it into sterilised jars.

It tastes lovely but would definitely be improved by having more spices.  I just didn't have any others and as it's a no spend October I wasn't going to buy any!

I still have plum chutney left from last year so wanted to try something different to use up the plums this year! 😋

2 comments:

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks