Friday 1 March 2024

Roast chicken and labels

 

My Tesco shop yesterday included a large fresh chicken (it was a Clubcard offer!)  The label describes a large chicken as being between 1.5kg and 1.9kg (as per photo above) so I looked for the biggest one I could get.  Yep, I even pulled a few out to get to the ones at the back!! 👀

This was the biggest one!  I looked at every single one on the shelf to get my money's worth of chicken!!  I know another 206g (7oz) of chicken doesn't necessarily produce an equivalent amount of edible meat but hey, it could be enough for another frugal meal.  So I'm always going to check from now on!  

The label also says it serves 5 but we all know we can get more than 5 servings from a large chicken!  Plus I have the bones/carcass simmering in the Crockpot for stock.  I'll make soup tomorrow once it's cooled and I'll skim off and save the chicken fat for making pastry.  I think I'll make some individual chicken pies for the freezer.


I have also been 'sharing' my roast chicken with both dogs as they BOTH have a nasty bout of diarrhoea.   Luckily I now keep some doggy probiotics in the cupboard, much cheaper than vet prescribed ones.  A day or 2 of chicken, rice and scrambled egg should hopefully help settle their tummies.  

As I've mentioned previously, I've been working on removing ultra processed foods/ingredients (UPFs) from my diet.  I was shocked when I looked at the label on my Hellman's mayonnaise today.  It contains calcium disodium EDTA which is a medication to treat lead poisoning.  It's a classic use of a UPF that has found it's way into the food chain as a cheap preservative.  I don't know if it's always been in there or they now have to declare it.  But I'll not be eating it again.  I can and will be making my own mayo from scratch from now on. 

I also needed salt.  Many of them contained an anti caking ingredient (sodium hexacyanoferrate II or sodium ferrocyanide.)  This was the only one that didn't have any!  And of course it's more expensive.  BUT I have noticed a huge difference in my digestive health since I stopped eating over processed gluten free and dairy free products and eliminating these hidden UPFs.  So it's worth it for me to check every single label and make everything from scratch.  And so far I'm managing to do it within my tight budget! 😊

8 comments:

  1. I also look for the biggest chicken, roast or number of chicken pieces I can get. Then like you portion it out into many more meals than people say one can get from them.

    Let us know how the homemade mayo goes. Pretty sure my mom made something close to mayo while we were growing up.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a really easy recipe I used to use where you just put everything in a jar and blended it with a stick blender. I'll need to look for it or something similar :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info on Hellmans mayo. I've just read the ingredients on my jar, and I too won't be buying/eating that again. I hate to suggest that you listen to the radio 4 podcast FED - Planet Chicken, but do if you feel up to knowing more about how chickens are raised and what is injected into standard chicken to give it some flavour. I will only, rarely, be eating organic free range chicken from now on ☹️ preferably from a local supplier where it hasn't been through any industrial processes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm scared to look into chicken (and meat production) as I know only too well what I'll find :-( Glad the info on the mayo was helpful :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I bought one of those chickens the other day and didn't realise about the weight thing - TQ
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having been caught out with the beef joint I'm scrutinising every label from now on!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. That larger chicken was worth a good rummage for. Yes, I keep telling myself that I must make my own mayo in future, it's a hard habit to get into but I suppose once it's in my repertoire it will stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the habit of regularly making butter and sourdough now so making mayo shouldn't be too onerous :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks