Monday 4 June 2012

Apricot jam


I picked up some reduced fruit in my local supermarket including 3 punnets of apricots, down from £1.99 to 80p.


There was nothing wrong with them, no blemishes just a wee bit hard.  Lots of fruit is now sold as 'perfect for ripening in the bowl' so buying them on the sell by date is a good option.  Now even I can't eat 1.2 kg of apricots, so I decided to make jam.  Some for us to eat and some to give as gifts.




My adapted recipe from Thane Prince's Jams and Chutneys book

1.2kg apricots, stoned and quartered
juice of 3 lemons
1kg of sugar
150ml liquid pectin (optional but I made my own)

Add fruit, lemon juice and 400ml water to a large pan.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins until fruit is soft.
Add sugar, stir gently to dissolve.
Bring back to a rolling boil and boil for 5 mins.
Add pectin (if using) and boil for 2 mins.
Test for set.
If not using pectin, then you need to boil for longer (about 15mins) to get to a setting point.
Pour into hot sterilised jars.


3 large jars, 2 wee ones and a tub for immediate use as I didn't sterilise enough jars!! One jar  has already been gifted :-)

Total cost £6

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks