Wednesday 13 June 2012

Free wild salmon

After a week of internet hassles I think I've finally got it cracked.  New deal with a new provider and all in my own name at long last :-)

I have a source of free wild salmon from a family friend who does proper fishing.  It comes to me already gutted and frozen.  Only thing is it takes ages to defrost in the fridge and like last weekend it isn't always ready to cook when I need it!  I had to rustle up something else for a romantic meal for 2 instead.

So next day I had 2 whole defrosted fish each about a pound in weight to deal with.  I poached it wrapped in foil in a roasting tin half filled with boiling water then into a hot oven for 15 mins.  Then I turned the oven off and left it in there to cool down.  Remove skin and bones and you end up with a large plate of perfectly cooked wild salmon.


So once I'd had some on toast for breakfast I had to think of other ways to use it.


Flaked and stirred through a risotto.


Salmon pate with melba toast.

Mix 250g of salmon with 2 tbsp of half fat creme freche, 1 tbsp of mayo, a good squeeze of lemon juice and season to taste.

A frugal gourmet dish costing me pennies.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks