Sunday 17 June 2012

Feel the fear

I've never really understood the idea of 'feel the fear and do it anyway.'  Why would anyone want to make themselves do something that really scares them?  It's become one of those throwaway lines that are supposed to motivate you.  My brain has never worked like that.  The biggest fear I've conquered in the past was a fear of flying and that took a day long course with psychologists and a full British Airways flight crew to get me on a plane.  I still don't like flying but I can do it.

Today I did something so scary and waaay out my comfort zone that made me finally understand what is meant by 'feel the fear.'  Today I enjoyed my Christmas present from my partner and spent 3 hours on a treetop adventure that included the UK's longest zipwire, a Tarzan Swing, some smaller zipwires and lots of swinging rope bridge contraptions.  Have a look here www.goape.co.uk/days-out/aberfoyle

I'll be honest, it wouldn't have been on my list of 100 things to do for fun as

1. I'm scared of heights 
2. I have vertigo
3. I'm a natural born scaredy cat

But after the initial scary zipwire and a few wobbly rope bridges I was starting to enjoy it.  Then came the Tarzan Swing (think mini bungee!!!)  I had the option of a nice safe rope bridge if I couldn't face it but I thought this was an opportunity I may never have again.  So I got up on the platform, clipped my 3 safety ropes onto the swing and jumped.  Even now I don't know how I did it.  I landed on the cargo net at the other side and clung on for dear life.  My legs were shaking so much I couldn't move them.  I had to haul myself up onto the platform just using my arms.  But I did it.  I stood on the platform high above the ground dizzy and breathless from pure adrenaline.

Now that was a real feel the fear moment.  I was terrified, I didn't have to do it but I did it anyway. And cheesy as it sounds, hours later I'm thinking what could be more scary than that?  I'm still smiling.  I feel like I can do anything.  Fear of failing doesn't scare me any more.

2 comments:

  1. Well done. I must admit that I would have no problems with what you done. Put me in a room of people and I would be just as scared as you was at the beginning of the day though. Well done again, you can do anything now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put me a room of people and I'm happy to stand up and talk to the crowd.

    Funny how what scares one person doesn't faze another :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks