Monday 25 May 2015

Beef

 
I got this yellow stickered joint recently.  I hadn't planned on buying a joint but it was too good to pass up.  I didn't have any red wine or beer to cook it in, so it just got tossed into the slow cooker with some onion, carrots, water, a shake of soy sauce and Worcester sauce.  I cooked it on high for 5 hours.


After 5 hours the meat was so tender it was falling to bits.  I tried slicing it but as you can see it didn't really work!  It was more like 'pulled' beef.  It was very delicious!  The gravy was a bit bland so I added some balsamic vinegar.  Bingo!  That really perked it up.

 
I got 6 generous servings plus gravy from it.  The last few pieces were thrown in a casserole with the last of the gravy, carrots and onions.  To stretch it a bit further I made some dumplings.  I stole Frugal Queen's tip of rinsing the flour off so they could be gluten free ;-)  I pop the suet into a sieve and shake off the excess flour then rinse it.
 
Recipe on the suet packet
 
100g SR flour (I used Doves Farm GF)
50g suet
pinch of salt
approx. 5tbsp water
 
Mix together into a sticky dough and shape into 8 dumplings.
Put on top of the simmering stew, cover with a lid and cook for 20 mins.
 
I like my dumplings a wee bit crispy on top so I take the lid off and pop it back into the oven for another 5 mins.
 
So 8 generous servings in the end :-)  

2 comments:

  1. I'm always on the look out for yellow stickered meat. Trying to keep up with the protein requirements of a growing teen lad is expensive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the meat in my freezer has yellow stickers, it's the only way to be able to afford it these days isn't it!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks