Monday 23 October 2017

Unprepared!!


I came home from work today to find that there was a burst pipe just outside the house across the road.  My water was cut off this morning, after I left for work!

Luckily my neighbour (who retired early from teaching at 49!!!!) knew beforehand and filled up containers with water before it was cut off.  He kindly filled my kettle so I could cook dinner and have a cuppa!

But I'm annoyed at myself for being so unprepared.  I didn't have any bottled water for drinking or cooking.  I didn't have any hand sanitiser or wipes.  I don't have any rainwater collection systems in place (for flushing the loo) Just a few short years ago when I lived in a very rural area I was the Queen of Preparedness!  Every winter I'd get snowed in at some point, the water pipes froze, the power lines came down in windy weather and the telephone wires regularly came down willy nilly.  The road at the end of the lane got badly flooded a few times too.The nearest supermarket was 15 miles away so I was always prepared with supplies.  Plenty of food in the cupboard, bottled water in the garage, candles, gas stove etc etc

This weekend I ran out of toilet paper (I thought I had a pack in my cupboard) 😳 Today I had no water.  Both timely reminders to GET PREPARED!!

I might be living in suburbia but I could still have a power cut or have a burst pipe.  First of all I need to:

1.  Keep some bottles of water for emergencies in the garage (rotate regularly)
2.  Keep some hand santiser gel in stock
3.  Order a water butt ASAP!
4.  Get my wood pile sorted in case the electricity goes out.

Then I need to look at my general preparedness for any type of SHTF scenario that might happen in the future.


Years ago I read this book, it had some good ideas to get started.  Must look it out again to refresh my memory!

9 comments:

  1. I think we in suburbia get very complacent about these things, I certainly do. However, last winter when the press was full of warnings about us getting the coldest winter in a million years (I might have exagerated that number slightly!) I went out and got lots of water and tinned/dried foods, candles etc for the apocalyps to come and guess what, it didn't happen! I know its ridiculous but I was so disappointed lol. So, now do I go and get the stuff again for this winter or will I get caught out because increasingly I don't believe the weather forecast. We don't keep bottled water as we have a water filter fitted to our tap but maybe I should keep some in just in case! I hope you have your water back now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, complacent is the right word for me!

      We've not had a bad winter for a few years so might be due one. I'd get prepared, just in case! ;-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Always ALWAYS keep a good supply of bottled water. Preps aren't just for winter, either, or for zombie apocalypses..........................

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a few very cheap 20p bottles of still from tescos which I keep at the back of my cupboard. I have lots of candles and generally never have less than 10 toilet rolls in upstairs cupboard. The water caught us out one day it was off for a lot longer than anticipated. filling the bottle doesn't work if you want to keep them, but if they are bought from shop and sealed they tend to last a lot longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, starting to buy a few bottles of water each week and store them.

      Delete
  4. This is a timely post, we are due a harsh Winter and my OH is convinced this year will be the one. I'm taking notes now, thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First snow is predicted this week here so basically the country will grind to a halt!!

      Delete
  5. thanks for the reminder...I might have dozens of rolls of tp...it's a family thing...plenty of cat food and litter.com..but no bottled water and no pantry full of food...looks like some shopping is in order...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks