Saturday 21 October 2017

Saturday Meal Prep


Well, that was a quick week!!  Back to school and the new term is already in full swing.  Last weekend I didn't do any meal planning or prepping.  Every day this week I felt like I was wasting time making each meal individually as I needed it.  So, today I spent several hours using up what was in the fridge so I didn't waste a thing.


I made a rice crust quiche to use up a bowl of cooked rice, a wrinkly green pepper, an onion and some eggs near their use by date (!) That was my lunch today with some date and banana chutney I received as a gift.  And one portion left for a school lunch.


I've had a butternut squash lurking in the veg basket for a few weeks so I roasted it with some apples from my lovely mum's garden with a drizzle of honey and chilli flakes to make Butternut squash and apple soup.  TBH it didn't taste as amazing as it normally does but that's 4 work lunches sorted.


I saved some of the roasted butternut squash to recreate a quinoa salad I had on our break to London.  I'll report back on that!


I made a veggie (actually vegan now I think about it!) version of my Turkey Con Carne.  I substituted the turkey breast mince with 200g raw weight of green lentils and 100g red lentils.


It was absolutely amazing!  Maybe even better than the meat version!!


It made 6 generous portions plus a taste test sample 😋 I'll need to test it's freezability but I think this could become a firm favourite especially as I've just worked out each portion cost around 20p!!!! Healthy and cheap 👍


During the summer I bought a tofu press.  It cost me £2.  Today was the first time I tried it.  So much liquid came out!


I just shallow fried it with a little salt and pepper.  I tasted a few pieces (yummy!) and put the rest in the fridge.

I've also got leftover chicken from tonight (OH wasn't feeling great so didn't eat much) and some more rice so I have the fixings for a few stir fries and salady type meals.

I've got a chicken breast and 3 salmon fillets plus tons of veggies in the freezer so it'll be a use it up week of eating as I'm trying to avoid going to the supermarket.  Saving time and money (I hope!)

2 comments:

  1. The chilli looks very nice and should freeze well. When I had a freezer lentil chilli and curry were always on my batch cooking list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, good to know it will freeze well :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks