Monday 20 November 2017

Stovies


Thanks to everyone who contributed to Saturday's post on Friends. It's good to know we're not alone in our thoughts and is something I'll be coming back to very soon.

Yesterday was a chilly day that called for proper comfort food.  I made a roast beef dinner with all the trimmings on Saturday night for OH and The Teenogre.  I had some beef and roast veggies leftover so added a few raw potato cubes and made Stovies.  Essentially it's a leftovers dish (traditionally made with the leftover meat and gravy from a Sunday dinner) so it's a cheap filling dish. But there are loads of different ways to make it.  And all of them are traditional! 😆 My version is to put chopped up cooked beef, gravy, carrots, onions, potatoes in a big pan (wok!) and simmer together until the potatoes start to break up. Some people use sausages or corned beef. Some people make it in a casserole dish and put it the oven.  It gets a crust on top.  Do you have a version and what do you call it?

On impulse I bought this GF cake mix.  It was amazing!! I filled one sandwich cake tin and 5 muffin cases with the mixture.  You can just see some muffins in the photo above.  We had the cake (no icing) with Alpro custard.  Definitely recommend it for a treat!

7 comments:

  1. I make mine "blind" as I don't eat red meat. I then dish my portion to keep warm and add the meat for the others. My SIL from Dundee puts in turnip-bleugh. I usually put in whatever is to hand and anytime I make them they are different. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a turnip fan either!! Although I do like to eat it raw :-)

      Delete
  2. The Betty Crocker gluten free brownies are brilliant too. I got them in Aldi recently. We used to make stovies about a million years ago when we went to our school outdoor centre in Inveralligan. We used corned beef if I remember correctly. Not made them recently though. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I'll look out for the brownies one!

      Delete
  3. I'll give this a try with leftovers...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks