Sunday 12 August 2018

500th post!


This is the 500th post on this blog.  Wow!! When I started writing in this one I didn't think I'd still be posting 6 years later, after all it was called 40k in 4 Years.

This isn't my first blog! I first started writing a blog in 2007 about my life in the ultra running world, encouraged by a dear friend who was sadly taken too soon.  Then in 2010 I started a new one about the period when I was first separated.  I re read some of it lately and it was a tough read! Then in 2011 I decided I would train for a triathlon and record my thoughts in yet another blog.  Oh and there was the Soup Kitchen blog too (link above) so that takes us to 2012 and the start of this one.

In 2012 I was still living in my dream house in the Perthshire countryside.  My ex had agreed to continue paying the mortgage as my youngest son was 14 and still in school.  Then when he turned 18 we would sell the house.  I would maintain and decorate the house in those 4 years while finding ways to generate an income from it.


I had a plan that required £40k to turn the house into 3 apartments (it had been staff accommodation for the big house next house and had been 2 apartments before conversion to one house) then I could live in one of them and stay there.  I decided I would keep a record of my efforts for the 4 years.

But very quickly my ex decided that he wanted to sell the house and get a clean break.  It took 2 very long years to sell and in the end we lost a LOT of money on it as house prices tumbled.

Looking back, despite the hassle selling the house was the right thing to do.  I love my wee house here and my life is good.

I never did save £40k but over the years my frugality has helped me save decent amounts to do things like buy a campervan, install a woodburner and go on several exciting holidays to see family in Singapore and Australia.  I also bought a wee flat for my son.

I'm still saving for my (early) retirement.  The current plan is to sell my house when OH and I eventually decide to buy a house together.  Or maybe he'll move in here with me.  Who knows??  I've learned over the last 6 years to just enjoy life in the present and not keep looking to the future.

So if you've been with me for a while or if you're new to my ramblings, thank you for reading and commenting and sticking with me as the blog has evolved.  It really makes my day when I get a comment 😘

I wonder how long it'll be until my 1000th post...

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I've been around a while although I don't think I commented much in the beginning. Now you can't get rid of me lol. Onward and upward towards retirement. I love it and I'm sure you will. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can see the end goal now, I just don't know how long it will take to get there xxx

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have done incredibly well through some very tough times - my sincere congratulations and I raise a virtual glass to the next 500.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've certainly been through some interesting times! xxx

      Delete
  3. Wow-what a roller coaster that’s been. You seem very sorted now with your permanent post, and when I decided on early retirement, I saved like never before. Good luck with new term ( may not be able to comment again this week).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Saving is the main priority. I'm actually looking forward to the new term now xxx

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, what a lot of changes since you started, so well done for carrying on with the blogging through it all. Best wishes for the next 500.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There's definitely plenty of stuff in the future to write about! xxx

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on 500 posts, I've read them all!! You certainly have accomplished a lot in the last 6 years. Looking forward to the next 500!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks!! You'll have seen a few changes then :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Wow, you have been busy, glad to hear you turn each change of an into a positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My OH has been a big influence on seeing the positive in things beyond my control :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on 500 posts. I think I found you through someone's blog list and have been reading since the time that you had sold your old house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for sticking with me! xxx

      Delete
  8. It doesn't seem all that long since you were sorting out stuff in your old house with the help of your Mum. I still remember those gorgeous tweed doggies you made then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! I'm STILL sorting out the stuff from my old house. It was packed and brought with me. But I'm getting there :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. Well done you I'm still here too :) lol Will never forget your kindness when I came to visit in 2010, was a turning point for me.

    Love Sarah
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2010 was a big year for both of us. But look at us now!! xxx

      Delete
  10. Long term lurker here...I think I've read every post...can't believe it's been that long! My blog has been pretty defunct for ages :)

    viv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks for reading all my posts :-)

      Delete
  11. Thank you for your comment :) There will be more house pics - my little camera is now fully charged - just need a crash course as to how to get pics from it to my chromebook!! So glad I married an IT whizz!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned to use a Chromebook last year as we use them in school. Now I have a role raising attainment in IT in the lower stages!! So if I can do it... :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks