Wednesday 1 August 2018

Rhubarb Chutney


I'm writing this as I know I'll lose the scrappy bit of paper the recipe is currently on!  Based on THIS RECIPE here's my version based on what I had available.

1.2 kg rhubarb, chopped
750g brown sugar
2 large onions, chopped
270g raisins
600ml apple cider vinegar
4 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp corriander
1 tsp rock salt
1/4 tsp cayenne

Add everything to a preserving pan and slowly bring to boil.  Turn down heat and simmer until thick and pulpy (took about 90 mins for mine).  Pour into sterilised jars.


No need to leave to mature, it can be eaten straight away.  I had some on my cheese and toast 😋

4 comments:

  1. My late, and much missed MIL, used to make this every year. I tried only once, but the taste was never the same. Happy memories of a great and very frugal cook who could make very tasty meals from very little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminded me of my dad's mum who brought up 3 boys on her own on a tiny widow's pension and knew how to stretch every single penny. I have very happy childhood memories of foraging berries with her and then sitting in her prefab kitchen watching her make vats of jams, jellies and chutneys. Freshly made pancakes with homemade jam may have been a frugal treat but were just heaven :-)

      Delete
  2. Yummy ! This looks like the only chutney I'll be making this year ! Lack of garden produce and too much stuff going on in my life right now has left me lacking inspiration and motivation to do any kind of preserving.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously my rhubarb is the only thing growing well this year. I literally typed "What can you make with rhubarb?" on Pinterest!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks