Thursday 15 June 2023

Going soft!

 

I'm going soft in my old age!! I've always said I'll never keep a pet going just for me or pay extortionate vet fees for drugs.  I've spent £300+ on medications for Emma in the last month and today I took Tuppence to the vet as she has bumblefoot.  It's a real thing chickens get!! 😂

£96 for oral medication to reduce the inflammation...

...and steroid cream to massage into her poor wee swollen feet!

She's nearly 6 years old which is a good age for a chicken.  She's a Plymouth Rock and is a feisty wee thing, which is why I'm giving her a chance.  Currently she can't walk on her sore feet but is shuffling about and talking at me!  Luckily I caught it early before the inflammation travelled up into her legs.  I've had chickens for 8 years now and never needed vet advice on any of my girls.  So I can't complain that one finally got a common chicken problem 🐔

14 comments:

  1. You really made me laugh! Best wishes to your "girls". Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People don't realise chickens have personalities! Only got Tuppence at the moment so she's spoiled rotten :-)

      Delete
  2. The only time I paid vet's bills for my chickens was with my last Lavender Pekin, she had a recurring eye problem that needed antibiotics. I took her twice a few weeks apart and then the vet let me have a large bottle of the antibiotics to keep on hand at home, so that I didn't have to keep paying for a consultation. Sometimes the older girls just need a hand and when they've been your friends for years you wouldn't dream of saying no would you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep just cos she's old doesn't mean she doesn't deserve some TLC, expensive as it is!!! :-)

      Delete
    2. I'm keeping quiet!! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Good for you - when we kept hens I couldn't bear it if they got sick - you did the right thing by Tuppence x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm unbelievably lucky that I've got this far without needing a vet and that I've been able to keep my girls healthy and happy. She's still not out of the woods yet but fingers crossed the meds work! :-)

      Delete
  4. Aww, poor thing. I hope she gets better very soon. Good thing you caught it quickly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard not to be soft when it's Tuppence. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's fighting to live :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks