Thursday 28 September 2023

No spend October?

 

I finally did a thorough inventory of the freezer in the garage!  I thought it would take me about 10 mins.  Nope, a full half an hour but it's totally sorted out now.  I've put 'like' things into carrier bags to make them easier to find.  As expected there's a lot of food in there!!  For example 17 mugs of soup!! 😱 Plenty of lunches sorted then!

I've worked out I have at least 20 meals' worth of meat or fish as the main protein.  I have tons of veggies and plenty of fruit.  I have a fairly well stocked storcupboard.  Could I do a no spend October?  I've checked all my non food essentials too and I think I could.  So, there's my challenge.  No spending in the supermarket unless it's an 'emergency!'  Never done a no spend at all before so this could be interesting!

I found some mashed potatoes in the freezer so made some potato scones.  I've been having them with a fried egg for my breakfasts these last few days.  I still have some of the red Desiree potatoes stored in the garage so they'll be good for next month's meals.

I ordered some seeds from Real Seeds.  They came yesterday.  Even this early I couldn't get some of the varieties I wanted.  I really like this company as they actively encourage you to save your own seed.  They also do low/no wage packs so growing food is accessible for everyone.  I think it's done on trust, you don't have to prove your income.   I'm going to try growing their quinoa on the plot next year.  If you check out Toni's post on Simple Frugal Life, she grew some successfully this year.  I thought it was worth a shot!

Today I'll be mostly keeping myself busy painting bits and pieces in the kitchen as my Lovely Mum is having fairly major surgery.  Interestingly, it's being done by robot!!! 🤖  Don't know if this is good progress in medicine or not!  We'll see how it turns out!  If you can send some positive thoughts her way today for a safe procedure and a quick recovery that would be greatly appreciated 💖

22 comments:

  1. Love the potato scones.

    My partner went through some pretty major surgery a while back. As part of the prep the nurse said that I would probably get a call around 4pm to say how things had gone. She also said don’t forget is you haven’t had a call that is good, it just means things were delayed a bit or it took a bit longer. I hung on to that for the extra two hours until the call came at 6pm…and it was all good.

    Keep busy and take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Keeping busy works for me. Surgery went well and she's in the high dependency unit for now

      Delete
  2. Good idea to keep busy to stop your mind going into overdrive, I'm doing the same. A robot doing your mum's op - well, even though it sounds like something out of a sci-fi film, I guess it's fairly normal and well trusted now, or they wouldn't be doing it. I'm going to try and do a very-low-spend October - was trying it this month but then life got in the way. Hey ho. Fingers crossed for your mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to have gone well thankfully. Finances are very tight atm so I'm going to have to work really hard at the no spend October!

      Delete
  3. I think I might join you on a low spend October too. September has been dreadful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August AND September have been dreadful for me thanks to a certain puppy!!!

      Delete
    2. Hmm, yes, both were dreadful for me too without your excuse!

      Delete
  4. I have to keep busy when anything stressful is happening. It is the best way to take my mind off things. I hope it all goes well for your Mum. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Early reports are that she's fine and recovering well

      Delete
  5. Hope all goes well for your Mum.
    And I also hope your no spend October goes better than my low spend September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She's doing well so far. I have to really step up the no and low spending as Luna has eaten into a good chunk of my emergency savings!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you have a good enough stash to see you through a no-spend month, and you know we will all be here holding you accountable.

    I hope everything goes well for your Mum. I know I'd rather have a well-programmed robot than an over-tired over-worked person doing something major on me. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems the robot did it's thing well and no human intervention was required!! I have a lot of food so I just need to be creative to use it up wisely

      Delete
  7. Big fan of Real Seeds here too; there's an order on its way to me now, a couple of new-to-me beans and a squash I've been after for a while. I too appreciate their low/no wage offered, it's a big help. I use them several times a year. Wee tip - look on e-bay for seeds you cant get from the companies - odd packets often appear there. Sending love for your mum, and you too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Didn't think of looking on ebay for seeds. Might try there next

      Delete
  8. ps - the bleu de solaise leek is the best tasting one I've ever grown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending prayers love and strength to you and your Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! How amazing your son trains the surgeons!! I've just spoken to her and she seems in good spirits. She's only the 9th person to have this type of surgery so she's getting lots follow up visits from her surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will be interested in hearing how the quinoa grows for you.

    Good luck on your no spend month. Keep us informed as to how you are doing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's fairly easy to grow but the harvesting of the grain is time consuming and faffy!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks