Friday 22 September 2023

Say aye tae a pie!

 

I made a pie using some of the turkey meat and some home grown veggies.  I think it might have been the best pie I've ever made!!  The pastry was made with half lard and half home made butter!  It was flipping delicious!!! 😋 It made 4 hearty and cheap portions.

I served it with some home grown sweetcorn.  The cobs weren't fully formed so I guess they weren't properly pollenated.  But they did taste lovely and sweet!

I had a few small potatoes lurking in the veg basket (my Maris Peer from the plot) so I grated them and mixed them with finely chopped onion (also from the plot) and made a large rosti style potato cake.  I've made smaller ones before and they were much crispier but this one was good too.


Today's been a day of 'getting things done'  in my countdown to putting the house on the market.  I've got someone coming to look at the external walls on the extension part of my house.  This is the side door into my utility room (we use this door all the time) and the window is my shower room.  The roughcasting was so badly done it literally started falling off in chunks!!  I've been let down by 3 different roughcasters who were supposed to come and repair the damaged walls.  One even removed all the loose stuff and left the grey bricks exposed.  It's been like this for 2 years.  I don't mind if trades folk can't/don't want to do a job, just tell me.  One even left a load of equipment (including a cement mixer!!) in my front garden for 6 months then it disappeared over night after several calls to ask when he was going to start!!

I've also been painting the window in my craft room and have got all my wallpapering stuff ready to get started.  I just need puppy sitters to let me get on with it now!! 

12 comments:

  1. Good to see someone else making proper pastry! Tis a rarity these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How good does it feel to get house jobs done now you have the time, I love it, crossing jobs off my list. When can I come for dinner please? Gosh that pie of yours looked so very good and I love home made pastry. Isn’t retirement great, you work to your own clock and do what you want when you want - enjoy every minute, you have so much to look forward to 😉. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is Friday and I didn't even realise it! When you're working the aim of your whole week is to get to Friday so you can relax and do all the 'stuff' that needs done. Lots achieved today! :-)

      Delete
  3. 5 bags of clothing and shoes to the charity shop this morning-I’m on a mission to keep decluttering before winter comes. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done!! I'm dreading the decluttering for downsizing but I'm determined it will not be coming with me when I move!! :-)

      Delete
  4. After our eye appointments today I am determined to get things completed in the house. Harvey now has glaucoma in both eyes so we need to get the house ready for sale. Perhaps not this year or next, but in the very near future.

    I can't make pastry for love nor money.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan to get the house ready before you need to as it's so stressful working to a deadline. I know lots of people who say they can't make pastry and just buy it. Whatever makes your life easier works for me! :-)

      Delete
  5. Your pie looks delicious, also the potato cake. I'm not very good with pastry but occasionally make a chicken pot pie or a quiche. I'm impressed how focused you are on getting things done around the house. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have hit a motivated streak so long may that last!! :-)

      Delete
  6. I think pies must be on of the most frugal meals around, and with homemade pastry the tastiest too. Yours looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Totally agree they're so frugal and I suspect they'll be making a more regular appearance on my menu!! :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks