Wednesday 7 February 2024

On being a hermit


I've found myself in a weekly routine of making butter and starting a sourdough loaf one day.  Then baking the bread and a batch of scones (using up the buttermilk) the next day.  Each keeps me going until the following week.  The bread is sliced and added to the freezer with the freshly made scones.  Sometimes I freeze some of the butter too.

And that's about as exciting as my life gets at the moment (plus sock knitting in front of the woodburner!)  But you know what?  I rather like it that way.  The weather here is continually wet and cold so doing inside tasks is as much as my mojo wants to do!  The dogs still get walked daily but I'm happy to be a hermit the rest of the time.  

A few of my dear friends are feeling exactly the same way!

Although in a fit of 'I must get started on getting the house ready to sell' I replied to a local bike charity's appeal for an IKEA Kallex unit.  I'm donating the above unit that holds all my craft supplies.  A whole load of junk and DIY stuff has just been dumped on it too.  I won't have room for it in a smaller house so it seemed a good chance to get rid of it now.  I'll have a bit more space to work in and finally get that room wallpapered!!  It gets collected on Monday so I need to get some sorting out done asap!

The housing market is starting to pick up so I'm keeping an eye on what's available.  My ideal would be a 2 bed cottage with a decent sized garden in the middle of nowhere but that would just encourage me to become a permanent hermit!!  I don't think I'm anti social but I do crave the peace and quiet I never seem to get just now. 

18 comments:

  1. Bread, scones and butter making, and knitting in front of the fire sounds just fine to me. I definitely have hermit tendencies during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first Winter in many years I've not been working so if I don't need to leave the house, I just don't! Hopefully when it warms up a bit I'll want to go out more :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. There are times I really don't like people too much so being a hermit is just perfect for me. Though there are a few people I should call or visit, just not now as the weather is horrendous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had -5C here overnight so it's too cold for doing anything outside except walking the dog. A brisk walk well wrapped up will do me good :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I’ve become keen on staying in rather than going out just for the sake of it. It certainly helps to stop spending money on impulse buys and coffees and cakes. I keep hoping the weather will settle so that I can walk more but today was bright and baltic so I just got on with my knitting. Happy decluttering. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not going 'out out' definitely saves money. There's nothing to impulse buy when you walk the dog!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. I’ve always been keener on staying home than going out! Now as a widow getting up in years I do exactly as I please. Knitting while listening to audiobooks is my favorite pastime, especially through these dark and rainy months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my audiobooks too. I also listen to Radio 2 or a podcast while I knit :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. I'm very much the same with my hermit tendencies! I walk the dogs up the fields and do the food shop and by the time that's over, I'm desperate to get home, get my comfy clothes on & relax. When I was working, I was the total opposite - loved nothing more than shopping & buying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I'm not the only one. I was the same when I was working but now I avoid shops whenever I can!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Hello Ali - I am a new reader and early retired too. My husband died last March, and everyday since has felt like a struggle . He was only 63. Reading your blog has elevated my mood
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Siobhan, thanks for for your comment. I'm so sorry to know you lost your husband, of course you'll struggle. 63 is still young in my book. I'm glad you enjoy reading my ramblings. I have a lot of lovely readers who help lift my mood too :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. To be honest, I think baking bread is exciting - and sourdough too - fantastic!

    I am sure things will calm down and you will get that balance of social and peace and quiet. It just takes a bit of time to work out what that is going to look like for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking just keep going until I can move house and then everything will fall into place. Sourdough is really easy once you've got the knack. It took me ages to get the knack though!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. I think you are talking to a lot of hermits here, there's absolutely nothing wrong with staying in baking bread and scones and making butter. And you can never, ever have too many pairs of socks. :-)

    The warmer growing weather will be here before we know it and then we can add fresh air and homegrown foods to our repertoires. Until then it's staying behind closed doors ... and in my case closed curtains ... today, it's absolutely freezing out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think I've found my tribe of frugal hermits!! It was -5C this morning and currently a balmy 3C now. I lit the woodburner at lunchtime and it's still a bit chilly indoors. I'm really looking forward to the warmer weather this year :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. Another hermit here, although I am glad to see that the days are starting to draw out. In Spring we can all emerge blinking into the sun like the Mole at the start of The Wind In the Willows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Can't wait to blink in some warm sunshine :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks