Monday 9 October 2023

At what cost?

 

Today is the final dose of medication for both dogs to get rid of this blasted parasite.  Tomorrow Luna has a scheduled vet appt for her final vaccination.  But I've been warned she may not get it if they don't think she's 'clinically' well enough.  I honestly don't know what else can be done to eradicate it except dig up my whole garden and re landscape it.  And remove every single carpet and soft furnishing the dogs sit/lie on/brush against, just in case it's lurking there.  Luna doesn't get out into the back garden at all and doesn't get into any rooms with carpet.  Poor Emma is just very confused about everything 😢

I did pop to Tesco but it took ages trying avoid the flooded roads.  Stirling has been very badly hit.  I was very good and only bought laundry supplies, coffee and the usual allowed 2 packs of paracetamol for Emma.

The Tesco capsules work out at 16p each and I use 2 each time I wash the dog towels and bedding.  Plus I'm adding the sanitiser as a back up.  It really goes against my ideals to not use Ecover or equivalent earth friendly/home made products but they simply don't kill off viruses etc.  I'm balancing cost v principles and I'm honestly not happy about it.  My usual Ecover laundry liquid has been costing me 48p a load and by doing 3 or 4 loads a day I've used up a whole 1.5 litre bottle!  It would normally last me a few months!!  I can only hope this will all be over soon and I can go back to 'normal'  whatever that looks like now.

I bought the cheapest decent coffee.  At £3 for a 200g jar it doesn't break the bank.  But then it got me thinking about how it might have been produced.  Did the farmers get a fair price?  How was it processed so cheaply?  Etc etc etc...  Living simply and/or frugally has many challenges and I'm tying myself knots overthinking everything.  

What is the 'real' cost of having dogs especially when they get sick?  Maybe it's because I'm stir crazy being cooped up in only 2 rooms in the house with Luna.  It's not what I thought I'd be doing just a few months into retirement but I keep having to tell myself it must surely come to an end soon.  Please send positive vibes our way for the vet visit tomorrow!! 

12 comments:

  1. Sending many positive (((vibes))) your way for less rain, the end of doggy illness, being able to go out and getting your retirement plans back on track.
    Hope they work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue!! I hope they work! :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Fingers crossed that things start going your way and the dreaded doggy viruses go away for good! You must be thoroughly fed up with it now, it's not what you envisaged when you got that cute little silver puppy is it?! Our Betty has cost us a small fortune in vets bills for her ongoing ear infections in the 6 1/2 years we've had her....poor thing, she gets them around 3 or 4 times a year. An op has been suggested by the vet, but I've looked into it and it can't be guaranteed to work, plus there's a chance it might give her facial paralysis, so no I don't think so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, thoroughly fed up with it all!! Poor wee Betty, sore ears must be horrible. I know what you mean about weighing up the risks as Emma has had ear issues in the past. There are no guarantees with some ops so I haven't gone down that route either. If you look at Emma's ears closely you can see one is very wonky, also known as boxers' ear!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. How I feel for you with all this, and hope it all gets back to normal soon.
    Vets bills have gone through the roof - and the supermarket shop - even when I shop at Aldi the bill is always a shock!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is just so flipping expensive. My emergency fund is draining away. Fingers crossed I get better news tomorrow :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. Along with the others, I do hope that Luna can have her final vaccination and that the awful virus will soon be gone. I see from the news how bad the floods have been in parts of Scotland. Sending you positive vibes and hope you enjoy your coffee. Things will get back on an even keel for you all, hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed some sort of normal establishes soon :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. Being concerned about fair wages and conditions and how food is produced is not overthinking, it's compassion. See it as a temporary blip - sometimes something has to give. We can only do what we can where we are with what we've got, you're doing great x Sending positive vibes and virtual coffee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do hope it's a temporary blip cos I can't keep on doing this! :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Crossing fingers and paws here in Devon. x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks