Wednesday 11 October 2023

Flooded site


One of the plot holders has a drone and very kindly took some footage of the allotment site from above.  I've grabbed a couple of screenshots.  The yellow bit is my plot.  It looks like my shed might have escaped being flooded as it's raised up a bit on slabs but I won't know till I go there.

It's pretty flooded!  The railway line was flooded too and we've still got a bus replacement service.  Lots of places around the city were flooded like this especially near the rivers and burns.

Someone posted this link HERE from the Food Standards Agency in our FB group about contamination after a flood.  Interesting to read about what to do with our home grown fruit and veggies!

8 comments:

  1. What a shame, Ali-such a waste of effort and the food that will be thrown away. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fruit bushes should be ok next year as it's more than 6 months until they fruit again. I've only got leeks, kale and mint still growing in my raised beds so I've not lost much esp as I have these at home too. Lots of folks still had to harvest their pumpkins and Winter squash so not sure if they've survived.

      Delete
  2. Hope the flooded area didn't extend to houses in your area. That can be even more disastrous. Good luck with the clean-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were quite a few houses and gardens flooded plus a lot of shops. Round here 'they' keep building housing estates on flood plains. So when the rivers burst their banks in heavy rain all that water has to go somewhere

      Delete
  3. Oh what a mess. It's so sad to see . Hope when you can get there you find things are not too damaged

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to pop down today if I can get a puppy sitter for an hour or two, just to see what needs to be done. The plots flood every couple of years but apparently this has been the worst flood for years

      Delete
  4. Oh my, I hope your shed is okay and that the flooding did not cause too much damage to the plots.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a working party there yesterday to fix boundary fences so it's looking better already. Still not checked my shed yet but I hope to get there this week

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks