Thursday 26 October 2023

Lots of wee jobs


We went to puppy day care for a visit and Luna was assessed to see if she would fit in with the pack.  I was a bit concerned that she would either be too shy around new people and the other dogs (that's what she's like out a walk) or she would go crazy.  But she behaved beautifully and appropriately!  And she can start next week!!!  HOORAY! 🎉 When she's there I can go visit my Lovely Mum to help her out a bit and get some of my DIY stuff done round the house.  

Luna has been getting more daily walks so she snoozes for decent amount time too.  Which means I can get on with some stuff like knitting socks!  Second one is already on the needles 🧦

I used the last of my stored potatoes from the allotment to make a big pot of mash!  I turned some of it into tattie scones for the freezer.

My DIL gifted me some yellow stickered pork mince that I turned into a meatloaf.  I used up the last of the stuffing mix I bought last Christmas to mix through the mince.  It was delicious with some of the mash!  Several portions are in the freezer.

I strained the gooseberries from the gooseberry gin I started in the summer and bottled the gin.  I used up the gooseberries to make jam.  I used a jam thermometer for the first time and I must confess I feel the jam is over boiled and sticky.  I think I'll stick to my old fashioned method of testing the setting point on a cold saucer!!  I'm just using the jam myself as I don't think it's good enough to gift.

So, there are lots of wee jobs getting done this week.  But that's ok, I'm not in any rush to get anything major done.  I'm taking this time to relax a wee bit before gearing up to getting ready to sell the house.

11 comments:

  1. Getting those wee tasks out of the way is wonderful. I have done the same over the last two days. Glad that Luna can go to puppy day care and that she behaved so nicely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really pleased she behaved nicely but isn't that always the way? Lol! :-)

      Delete
  2. With you on the jam thermometer. I've used a wooden spoon and the curtaining test for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it to take the temp of milk when I'm making yoghurt but I don't even need it for that now. Plus it's fiddly to clean! :-)

      Delete
  3. It is incredible how much can be accomplished when the little ones are at toddler group or asleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what you can do in a short space of time when you're focused! It will be good to get a few straight uninterrupted hours! :-)

      Delete
  4. Totally agree about jam thermometers, never got on with them and prefer the cold saucer method. Your tatie scones look amazing - any tips,? my b in law is over from Oz soon and loves them x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My recipe is in the recipes tab above. Works best if the mashed potatoes are warm and you've added butter when you originally mashed them. I prefer them either toasted or fried :-)

      Delete
  5. Really good idea for Luna to go to doggy day care. Our dog goes one day a week so he gets company and like you, we have a day free . It's great as we get WhatsApp photos. Gooseberry gin sounds sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten how restrictive having a puppy is especially a sick one when you're the only responsible adult. I can achieve a lot in one day and it will do her good too! :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks