Wednesday 3 January 2018

My Realistic Goals for 2018


REALISTIC

adjective

1.  having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected

2.  representing things in a way that are accurate and true to life

I've always been sensible and practical so it makes sense to apply this to my goals.  When I looked back at last year's goals I realised that they were on going and still apply (declutter my house/eat and exercise better/switch off from work) I just need to make them a bit more realistic.

So, here are my day to day Realistic Goals for 2018:

1.  Keep decluttering my house BUT do it one room at a time instead of everywhere at the same time.  Doh!! So far I've deep decluttered my living room.  I was ruthless! I just need to finish making my curtains then it's done.  Big reveal coming soon!

2.  Keep eating sensibly.  I do try very hard to eat healthily but I know my downfall is snacking at night.  So if I plan to eat more healthy snacks and not eat after 7pm I can keep my weight at a steady level.  I'm a UK size 14 which is sensible but I know I should lose a bit more for my age/height.

3.  Exercise.  Eurgh!! I hate it but I do it.  OH is very disciplined so he drags me along to the gym and 'encourages' me to go out a run 🏃  I enjoy yoga but prefer to do it myself rather than go to a class. I learned that about myself last year.  There are loads of good free videos on YouTube.  Long term I know I will benefit from keeping active now.  And talking to my friends and family of similar age (ahem) I seem to be getting an easy time with menopause symptoms compared to them.  All the research I've read shows exercise definitely helps so another good reason to keep at it!

4.  Switch off from work.  My work/life balance is much better this year.  This class is less demanding and I'm more settled in this school now.  I don't usually bring work home unless it's planning which is once a term. However, the prospect of HMI is constantly hanging over us.  We've not been inspected for 8 years so it's very overdue!  Having been through it twice in my previous school I know only too well the stress it causes.  I'll deal with it if and when it happens.

5.  Grow my own fruit and veg.  Oh dear, last year my garden didn't do as well as I'd hoped.  Truthfully everything got off to a late start as the weather was so cold here in May.  I only put tomatoes in the polytunnel and didn't get a single tomato from 18 plants!!  However, I did spend time putting in new fruit trees and bushes that should be more established this summer.  I grew a few vegetables but not nearly enough to make it anything other than an expensive way to eat. Must try harder this year!

6.  Decorate/modernise the house on a tighter budget.  As much as I'm loving my woodburner it was a long expensive saga and I wish I hadn't started the process. The installation costs were as much as the woodburner itself and it wiped out my savings. However, it does add 'value' and saleability when I come to sell.  But lesson learned.  This year's more realistic plan is to make better use of what I've already got (paint, furniture etc) and do as much as I can myself with OH's help. 

7.  Stick to my clothing budget.  I actually under spent last year so I'm going to keep the same generous £500 budget plus the leftover amount as I need to replace my running shoes (expensive!) OH can't believe that's all I spent on clothes 👗👕👢

8.  Save as much money as possible each for 2 huge events this year 😉

All sensible, practical and hopefully achievable goals.  I always feel better once I've written them down and made them public.  It keeps me accountable 😊


5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you! It will be interesting to see how things come together for you in terms of these goals. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that OFSTED shadow. It taints everything, doesn't it? If the school came out well at the last one, maybe you won't get another one, unless there's some sign that 'standards' are dropping - what they think of as 'standards' anyway! One of the few things I do NOT miss in my retirement is the whole OFSTED thing.
    I love your goals! A Happy New Year to you.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I took the job I knew they hadn't been inspected for years. Ah well.

      Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  3. Don't think I need a love spell....more a small bomb! My goals this year as always...to live a more sustainable lifestyle whilst eating healthier and exercising more...setting myself up for a big fail already! Trouble is a thing called work always gets in the way. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I've deleted her comments.

      Totally agree it's work that gets in the way so I'm trying to find ways round it

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks