Monday 23 July 2018

Back to normality


Michaelmas Cay from the boat
 
I got home yesterday morning.  We had an amazing time but I was ready to get back to normality after almost 3 weeks.  My digestive system was starting to protest even though I was able to stick to GF foods most of the time.  Eating out was relatively easy but we got a bit fed up with it and were longing for simple home cooking.

We spent the first half in Cairns with my son and enjoyed hot temperatures in the late 20s and early 30s despite it being Winter.  We did lots of touristy things like snorkeling and diving (OH and The Teenogre) on the Great Barrier Reef, visited Kuranda on the original train route up the mountain (came back down by cable car),  and went inland a bit to see some spectacular waterfalls and visit a platypus farm.



But mostly it was lovely just to spend time with my middle son and meet his partner for the first time.


My gorgeous middle son

The second half was spent in Perth where OH lived for 7 years.  We stayed in a lovely hotel in Scarborough for this week.


View from hotel balcony


Perth by night 

Again we did touristy things like visiting Rottnest Island, AQWA, the Maritime Museum where I went inside a submarine and the markets and prison at Freemantle.  We spent time with OH's brother and his new family.  We also caught up with some old friends and shared a Christmas in July evening with them!


 OH's farm

OH still owns a farm so we went to visit it. His brother has a license to fly drones so he took one with us to have a play.  The Teenogre was a natural and took this photo of us standing in the garden.  OH was a bit annoyed that the farm's tenant has neglected the house and garden.  Lots of fruit trees had died as the sprinkler system was broken and he hadn't fixed it.  (OH charges him a very low rent in return for maintaining the property.)

At some point in the future (when we're retired) OH and I may spent some time there working on the property before selling it.


The highlight of our Perth trip was definitely meeting this wee cutie, OH's niece.  She's 6 months old and absolutely adorable.  OH's brother is the same age as me(!) so he's coming late to fatherhood. You may remember I went to their fabulous wedding in Singapore a few years ago.

So far the jet lag has been ok.  I managed to stay awake yesterday and went to bed early.  I got up this morning after 11 hours sleep!! I think a few early nights will soon get me back to normal.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there-you look amazeballs after your time in the sun. The silver locks are looking good. Glad your long journey let you experience so many great experiences-that is so exciting that you will be able to go back to Oz one day and stay in your OHs property. I’ve been in Stirling twice last week at Pembertons with my sewing machine but knew you were still away. We ate in Loving Food and it was delicious. Hope to see more photos of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, feeling good too. I was ready for a break from work.

      Pembertons is a fab wee shop. Shame I wasn't here. Let me know next time and we'll try to meet up :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. You look very well. We did the Kuranda trip on the train and cable car when we were over there a few years ago and did some snorkelling, no diving for us! Nice to see you back again, hope the jet lag is mild and you get to enjoy the rest of your holidays. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! I loved the train trip to Kuranda but not the cable car back down!! OH and Teenogre went diving, I struggle even with snorkeling but it was just so beautiful.

      I've got 4 weeks left and lots of plans!! :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks