Thursday 2 August 2018

Day 3 & 4: Cook, Clean, Clear and Create


Yesterday's cook was to poach some chicken breasts and shred them to add to meals.  5 chicken breasts made 7 portions for me.

Clean and clear took place at DS's flat.  I helped him clean his wee kitchen and clear out the pots and pans he can't use any more as his new cooker hob is halogen.  We also sorted out his cutlery and cooking utensils and hung up some of his pictures.  It's looking more homely now.

Create was to start stitching together my sock yarn squares to add to my blanket while watching TV.  I only managed a few as my eyesight didn't like the dim evening light.

Today's clean and clear was to make a start on sorting out my yarn and fabric scraps and put them into the chest of drawers I brought back from DS's old flat.  I sorted through all my various bags of sock yarn, threw out all the tangled messes and put the remaining balls in this drawer.  I also found a few more completed squares!!


I added a wee bag of lavender to keep it smelling sweet as the leather and wood smell of the chest of drawers is quite strong.  I've scrubbed clean some plastic tubs for my fabric scraps and I'll sort them out tomorrow.

I've spent a few hours on my create part during the day to make the best of the light and save my poor eyes!


I stitched 11 squares together for the bottom row and 12 for the vertical one on the left.  I've also placed another 13 ready to stitch tomorrow.  Placement of the squares is totally random.  My only 'rule' is not to have the same squares in the same column or row.  Unbelievably my blanket will have 156 squares!!

Tonight's cook will be to make a batch of soya yoghurt overnight in my yoghurt maker.

Thursday night is one of our gym nights but my sinuses are very sore so I might skip it.  I'll take some ibuprofen and see if that helps.  If not then it's a date with The Crown on Netflix!!

Edited to add:  I went to the gym and felt ok 

8 comments:

  1. Just back from Pilates-lots of new moves tonight which will keep the class fresh-I just love it. Hope you’re leaving yourself some me time before you assail the chalk face once more. I love a tidy drawer and always feel a sense of calm when I have resored order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, a tidy drawer makes me feel happy and didn't take very long to do.

      I'm doing lots of 'me' things and am really enjoying my holiday :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed with your little squares. I did some baking today which was fun, but now I need to eat it! What happened to the diet?? Oh well, back to the drawing board - again. You're doing well on your challenge. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very quick to knit and really effective when they're sewn together. If you search for sock yarn leftover blankets you'll find much fancier ones than mine! Best bit is my blanket hasn't cost a single penny as all the yarn is leftover or gifted.

      I only bake at the weekend when I know others will eat it!!

      Delete
  3. That blanket is going to be lovely when you've finished it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started it 6 years ago so it's definitely a long term project!!

      Delete
  4. Good idea to cook lots of chicken for use in future meals....I've just poached a bagful of breast fillets, will freeze them in portions, thanks for that. Lovely blanket making, you're more patient than me, I couldn't be doing with all that sewing in of ends and sewing together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been sewing in the ends as I've been going along so it doesn't feel too bad.

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks