Friday 7 December 2018

Sick


Time to follow the advice I give everyone else at school.  I'm off sick today.  This dreadful cold/virus I've now had for 3 weeks has given me infected sinuses and multiple cold sores.  I just couldn't go in.

Luckily I managed to get an early telephone appointment and have got some kickass antibiotics for the infection and antiviral tablets for the cold sores.  I've taken the first doses and am feeling queasy so fingers crossed that means they're working already.

As a profession we are so bad at looking after ourselves.  The staff room has been full of poorly teachers this week.  I'm feeling very guilty as it's the first Nativity performance today and I'm missing it.  They'll be absolutely fine but I still feel terrible I'm not there to cheer them on.

I have no plans for the weekend except catching up on sleep as I've been unable to lie down in bed.

Hope everyone stays clear of the nasty bugs!!

9 comments:

  1. Poor you-glad you have stayed off today and are taking the antibiotics and anti virals. Do you also take probiotics to protect your gut microbes? Keep warm and rest with plenty of fluids-it’s definitely that time of year for people working with children! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to feel better already! I eat a lot of live sheep's milk yoghurt so that should help with the antibiotics.

      Definitely an occupational hazard!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks NYK! Hope all is well in Frugaldom :-)

      Delete
    2. Busy, as always, and about to start redecorating the holiday cottage so another budget challenge in the offing. LOL

      Delete
  3. Teaching is fraught with guilt one way or another but you have taken totally the right action and if you're not feeling right by Monday, take that day off as well. Going back too early is fatal (well, not really, but not wise)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm still not well I will be taking Monday off too. I spend a lot of time telling my (mostly) younger colleagues that it's ok take time off if you're ill. I probably shouldn't have gone in on Thursday and they all told me so!!

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear you are taking time off and looking after yourself. Working in special ed. for years we hated to take time off because it caused more problems than it was worth with the kids. We had to be almost on our death bed, lol, before we took time off. Not the smart thing to do but made life much easier in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's knowing that someone else will have to cover your class that stops us taking time off.

      There are no supply teachers in our cluster so in our school it's usually the Support for Learning teacher or a Principal Teacher on their admin time. That means kids throughout the school who get extra help, won't get it on the day you're off and the PT has to work extra unpaid hours to do their admin.

      If a teacher is off sick then they're really sick!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks