Friday 29 March 2019

Some leftovers


My dear colleague and friend retired today.  She's not a party animal and didn't want a night out to celebrate.  She wanted an afternoon tea party.  So we all pitched in and made food.  One of our fabulous SLAs (Support for Learning Assistant) has loads of vintage china so we set up a proper tea party for her with white tablecloths and wee vases of flowers.

The selection of food was amazing and people went to the extra effort making sure there were GF sandwiches and cakes for me.  I work with lovely people!! 😊 But there was too much food and so there were tons of leftovers.  Interestingly the younger members of staff wanted to put it all in the bin!  😲  Luckily us oldies know the value of leftovers 😄

I came home with a dozen pancakes, 2 jars of chutney, 7 apples, a wee GF loaf and some French bread.   The pancakes and French bread aren't GF but The Teenogre will eat them.  They're already in the freezer along with the bread.


I tossed a couple of pieces to the chickens.  They went crazy for it!!  And Emma had a few sneaky pieces too!

I will miss my friend but she totally deserves her retirement!  It was a lovely send off.

And now, I'm on holiday for 2 whole weeks!!


10 comments:

  1. I remember having a PD day at one of the schools I worked at several years ago. We were having a breakfast-muffins, bagels spreads, fruit etc. One of the teachers that was trying to save the environment walked in and took all the paper and Styrofoam plates that were already in the kitchen and threw them in the garbage and said we are using proper plates etc. So I said wouldn't it have been better to use the disposable plates and then throw them away and not replace? Instead you have thrown them away and we are going to have 2 loads of dishes for the dishwasher-how is that saving the environment etc. She turned red in the face and mumbled something and walked away and I did a little fist pump because I knew that she knew she'd made a big oops!!lol This is the same person-with others-that would have thrown all the leftover in the garbage as well! Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! Some people's ideas of saving the environment are a bit warped! Really looking forward to my break :-)

      Delete
  2. We have another week to go in Dorset, dammit! Enjoy your break. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year our break is a bit strange as we have a 2 week holiday first. Then go back for 4 days and then have Good Friday and Easter Monday off.

      Delete
  3. Afternoon tea parties are lots of fun! Glad your friend enjoyed her send-off. Hope you have nice weather for your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly we weren't allowed Prosecco (we had to ask the Director of Education for permission and he said no, despite the Parent Council being allowed to serve wine at an event!!) as that would have made it more fun! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Our schools have another week to go and then Easter falls right at the end of the break. It's so very late this year, isn't it.
    The tea party sounds absolutely lovely and leftovers are always useful!
    Have a good rest and relax over the break.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A few years ago there was a move to standardise the Easter holidays across Scottish councils so that the 2 week break is always the first 2 weeks in April. But when Easter is late that creates this weird scenario.

      I'm really looking forward to it xxx

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your two weeks, don't overplan your days, ensure you have some me time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep I'll be having lots of me time :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks