Saturday 18 January 2020

Starting to make savings


My 3rd 2020 goal of 'Save, save, save' has begun in earnest. I've changed my internet and landline services from BT to Vodafone.  I'm saving £40 a month AND I have a better service.  My BT contract ended last year and I'd been looking for a better deal.  It had crept up to £62.99 which was outrageous!  Vodafone have been installing super fast broadband round here so I signed up.  £23 a month as I'm already a customer.  £40 x 12 = £480



I pay £9 a month for my National Trust for Scotland family membership.  I haven't visited any of their properties for 2 years, at least.  So that's getting cancelled.  £9 x 12 =  £108

So, £588 to be saved this year.  I'm going to transfer £49 into my savings account each month.  I'm working on a few other monthly savings so hopefully I can add even more each month.

When I came back from holiday I had £130 in cash.  I decided to use that cash to pay for everything this month.  My cupboard and freezer were reasonably well stocked and I didn't have any big spending plans for January.  I'm just over halfway through the month and still have £63 left.  I've done a few small supermarket top up shops, replaced an empty Sodastream gas canister and went to see Little Women (it was fab!) I hope I can last another 13 days!

6 comments:

  1. You are doing so well on the savings front and the year has only just begun. Good times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It feels like a good start but there's more to be done :-)

      Delete
  2. Like you when we make a saving we add it monthly to our saving, if not it would be lost in general spending. We now save £2000 each year, and we don't miss the money each month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think physically transferring the money saved into a different account will help me. £2000 a year is impressive!

      Delete
  3. Well done. I think its something we should all look to do each year. My car insurance is due in February and you've now reminded me to start looking around to see what I can save this year. I got caught out last year as my dad was very ill and stayed put so I'm on it this year! I think given how much you've still got you should easily make it last for another 13 days. Next month life will become much more interesting with Brexit and all!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, also got caught out with my car insurance last year!! It auto renewed before I could stop it. Not sure how Brexit is going to affect us. There's so much hype it's hard to work out who's telling us the truth! xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks