Saturday 28 March 2020

Z for Zachariah

Many years ago when I was in 3rd year at secondary/high school (so about 14yo) we had to read the book Z for Zachariah.  I've been thinking about this book all week for some reason and looking back this has actually had a profound effect on me.  Basically, the plot is that a 16yo girl survives a nuclear event on her isolated farm in a valley and has to continue to live her life thinking she is the only person alive.  That is until a man arrives in her valley wearing a radiation suit.  He is the last man alive (A for Adam being the first) hence the Z...

I didn't know it had been made into a film although looking at the IMDb site they added another male character to create a 'love triangle.'  *sighs*

Anyhoo, as a child of the 70s/80s I grew up with notion that the Cold War would result in a nuclear event at any time.  And I was always thinking about how would I survive if that happened.  Combine that with my childhood love of Little House on the Prairie and pioneer life and you get a glimpse into how my tiny brain works!! 

Fast forward many years and many life experiences later  (that I've written about extensively here and elsewhere so won't bore you about it!!)  I (and millions the world over) find myself in a situation where my fascination with preparedness and pioneer life should help me.


For example, this is my fridge today.  I have no fresh food left.  But I have loads of food in the freezer, some veg in the garden and I have eggs.  (Btw I'm re thinking keeping chickens!!)


So, I made a rice crust quiche with leeks, peppers, garlic and chillies.  It was bloody tasty!! Recipe HERE But there's still scope to add more home produce to what I'm already doing.


It was a beautiful sunny morning here so I went to the allotment.  It counts as exercise under the new rules of lockdown.  There were a few people there but we all kept our distance from each other.  I cleaned out the storage bench that had been filled with water and floated away when the river burst it's banks. 


I cleared 2 of my raised beds of weeds and prepped them for the seeds/plants I have in my 'indoor greenhouse.'


I'll tackle the 3rd raised bed tomorrow/or Monday as it was a bit weedier than the other 2.
 

I didn't think anything except weeds had grown in the 3rd bed until I took a closer look.  My purple sprouting broccoli had survived the flood!!! Yeay!  It's my favourite vegetable! 😋 I also picked lots of rhubarb which has already been stewed.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that given my long held need to be prepared for any disaster scenario, I need to up my game in planning what to grow for my storecupboard and freezer.  Although I already had a plan that I worked out when I was in Australia, I'm majorly reviewing that in light of recent events.  And also reviewing my retirement plans!  More on that another time!!

Stay safe and stay home everyone! 💗

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I'd completely forgotten about that book. I'm sure it's what put me off reading for a long time.
    The quiche looks delicious. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those texts everyone was made to read at school in the 70s. Something made it pop up in my head again this week! Quiche was amazing! :-)

      Delete
  2. We could be twins! I love that book. I was brought up to be very self sufficient, and naturally gravitate towards end of days material. I'm about to start topping up my fruit stores with our first rhubarb harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhubarb is a very under rated fruit (although I know technically it's a vegetable!!)

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of that book. Sounds very interesting.
    What a lovely area of the allotment you have. I am sure you will cope very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was written by the same guy who wrote Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, aimed at young adults. Both imaginative stories with enough facts in them to be scarily accurate!!

      My allotment has fantastic views of the castle on one side and the Wallace Monument on the other. I love being there :-)

      Delete
  4. Great to be able to feed yourself. I found some rice at the back of a cupboard today and made a rice pudding. There's also some very old spaghetti there that will be used tomorrow. Amazing what you find when needs must. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find rice pudding such a comfort food. My mum used to make a fab baked version but I love the creamy version too! And can't go wrong with a pack of spaghetti!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks