Sunday 26 April 2020

The days are merging


The days are merging together in these strange times often until I have no idea of the day, never mind the date.  I'm still doing remote teaching but the uptake has been poor. I do hope they're all ok.  Everyone seems to be enjoying lovely weather and I'm seeing photos of people doing fab things in their gardens.

Going to my allotment counts as my daily exercise (and Emma's!!) and keeping busy there and in my garden is helping me stay sane.  Dad's funeral is this week.  I think once we get past it things can settle into a new normal for us.

Today I finally got my polytunnel erected on my plot.  It took me all day.  A second pair of hands would have been useful but thanks to social distancing I had to manage by myself.


Dismantling the raised bed box took much longer than I thought!!  The concrete slabs were really heavy.  And moving the rhubarb was a nightmare.


But finally the area was clear.  You can see Emma was impressed.  Not!


The frame was pretty straightforward.  Everything was numbered and the diagram was really clear.  I splashed out on one with a proper door instead of a zippy one.  And I bought hot spot tape for the frame.  It helps prolong the life of the cover.  We shall see!


The door went on first.  It took a few goes before I realised one of the poles was backwards!  To be fair the diagram didn't show the difference.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!


Ta da!!!  I'm flipping knackered tonight though.


I also made Lemon and Gin marmalade this week.  It's really good!


Especially on pancakes!  Pancake recipe HERE 


My friend brought me a jigsaw.  It's been a long time since I've done a jigsaw.  It'll be a long time before I do one again!


In a flash of inspiration I moved my bookcases out of the study into the living room.  The study will become the living room area in my Air BnB next year so I was wondering what to do with all my books.  I'm loving them being closer at hand in the evenings.


And finally to finish off this rambling post, Emma got a new pink bed.  She loves it.

Hope you are all doing ok.  Stay safe and stay home everyone! 💗

12 comments:

  1. I'm seriously impressed with all you have accomplished this week. Must make some marmalade, yours looks yummy. Sorry to hear your students aren't into remote learning, it's probably hard for them to get motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Most of my students don't have access to computers or internet so it's not surprising. That's why we're using Twitter. Most of our parents have phones and can follow us there. They're just not interacting with us. Even if they just did a 'like' I'd know they'd read it

      Delete
  2. Well done on managing the polytunnel on your own. The marmalade sounds delicious - lemon and gin, 2 of my favourite things! Emma looks so comfortable and happy....Betty loves all her new beds too - for a day or so until she starts chewing and ripping them. Little monkey, I keep hoping she'll grow out of the chewing phase but it's taking a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a challenge! It can a while for pups/dogs to outgrow the ripping stage! Emma was biting the new bed at first, I think because it's fluffy like a toy. But it's a fab design and she really snuggles into it

      Delete
  3. All very impressive indeed. Good for you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. you've had a very successful and productive week, well done, emma looks very snuggly in her new bed x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it doesn't feel productive at the time. It's only when I look back and see all the different things I've done i realise how busy I've been!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I'm seriously impressed you got the greenhouse together single handed. That counts as a full body workout!

    The pancakes look great. Like you I'm gluten free. What flour do you use? I make flatter pancakes with gram flour, but your recipe would be much appreciated.

    Your bookcases and books fit in perfectly to that space. It's a good idea to reorganise well ahead of starting AirBnB. Less grunt work to do nearer the time is always a Very Good Thing ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a full body workout!!

      I use oats to make these pancakes and I sometimes use a ground almond recipe too. I've edited the post to include the oat recipe link :-)

      Delete
  6. Well done on erecting that all by yourself. Yes, hot tape really does matter, it prolongs the life of the plastic by years.

    I love Emma's bed, is it one of the extra snuggly ones that are supposed to help dogs cope with stress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was hard going.

      Yes, it's the one that's supposed to help with stress. When I go to bed upstairs she gets quite anxious and pads about for hours. She quite likes it so far!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks