Thursday 15 July 2021

Garden time

 

I've been struggling with a sore back for the past week so have been spending more time working on my garden.  I do a wee bit at a time then rest. And repeat throughout the day.  Getting old sucks!! 😂 But it's been a good chance to take a hard look at my front garden as it was neglected last year because the front of the house was getting roughcast (the bit that's not white!) And thanks to the you-know-what that didn't happen.


You can see the black plastic membrane underneath all the stones has stopped doing it's job of suppressing weeds.

And it's bad for the soil anyway to be covered in plastic so my plan is to gradually remove it all and plant a more natural garden.  I'm not sure how long the stones have been in place (before I bought the house) so I'm guessing the soil is in really poor condition.

Although the heather border at the pavement side has thrived a bit too much!! It's about 4 or 5 feet wide despite me and my lovely mum trying to keep it in check.  It's beautiful when in bloom in Spring and the bees love it so it'll be trimmed back and kept.

I had a B&Q voucher so I spent it on some perennials to start planting.  I've put them in pots to begin with so I can place them in various situations as I put my 'design' together.  I have an idea in my head but who knows if it will work!!

There are 3 types of red roses, a verbena, a white hydrangea, a clematis (not in this pic), 4 dahlias and 2 pinks I already had in pots.  I also rescued some French lavender and pelargoniums that I've not potted up yet.

The colours are more stunning in real life!

Can't go wrong for 50p when all they needed was some deadheading and a good drink of water!  I don't normally buy flowers as I've always been more interested in growing fruit and veg.  Flowers are expensive!!  So I'll be trying to source bits of perennials from family and friends and having a go at growing some from seed as I've realised that I'm going to need a lot of them!! 🌷🌻🌼

4 comments:

  1. It's going to look gorgeous, isn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope I can make the idea in my head come to life!! I'll have fun trying :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Nice haul :) Look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm going to haunt the clearance areas in B&Q and Dobbies weekly to get some good stuff. I know someone who once got 20+ fruit trees from Dobbies really cheap because they had no labels. She planted up a whole orchard! xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks