Wednesday 27 October 2021

A standstill

 


Yep, things are at a complete standstill here as I'm off work with a nasty virus 😢 I did a PCR test to make sure it wasn't you-know-what (it was negative) but I have all the classic symptoms of a flu like virus.  I'm double vaccinated and I've had my flu shot so it's 'just' the nasty virus doing the rounds 🙄 Like an eejit I tried to keep going all last week but by Friday I was burst and had to stop.  And I've been mostly in my bed since.

I've been binge watching Your Home Made Perfect on BBC iPlayer and anything by George Clarke on Channel 4 Catch Up. I'm getting loads of ideas to finish off my kitchen and bathroom then I can finally get the rest of the house and garden done.

In other news, my youngest son's girlfriend moved into the annexe with him.  They're saving their money for a house deposit.  Both have good jobs with the NHS and are very sensible with money.  They've got their eye on a new build development nearby that starts next year so hopefully they'll be able to get on the property ladder soon.  It's not as easy for the younger generation these days as it was for us in the 80s.  When I got married at 20 (I know!!!) we had a mortgage 4 times my ex's annual salary of £7,000 and interest rates were 15%!  But no deposit required.  Both sets of parents helped us out and now it's my turn to help my kids get started 💖

10 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon x Last time I saw G he was 12 - now he's buying a house! We bought our first house in the 80s too, I remember the 15%!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they grow so quickly!! The cost of living wasn't as high but the 15% really hurt us financially for a few years.

      Delete
  2. Best to get on the property ladder sooner than later. I have my doubts about my grandkids ever owning a house. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, my older 2 sons in their 30s are not on the property ladder yet (for different reasons) But my youngest is an old soul, very mature and sensible (unlike his mother, LOL!!)

      Delete
  3. We have been trying to get our youngest to move into a house or condo/townhouse to no avail. It seems he likes his apartment....will keep working on it though as we give them extra cash on their birthdays and at Christmas to save for a down payment. Oldest has a lovely house and used his cash to pay off his vehicle and is looking at some new furniture.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My middle son loves his apartment in Melbourne and has only recently started to think about buying his own place. I don't think he was ready to settle in one place until now :-)

      Delete
  4. Hope you'll soon make a full recovery. Not just a lower cost of living in the past but much lower salaries too! We bought our first house with one income of £3300 p.a. in the 70s! It's all swings and roundabouts - we also suffered high interests rates but I think there was also tax relief on mortgages too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a nasty virus doing the rounds, my mum is actually in hospital tonight because of it :( I remember those days of high interest rates very well. We bought our first house in the late 70's for £9000 and it recently sold (we moved out in the 80's) for £150,000 then again our joint annual income then was about £4000!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your mum is ok, it's a really horrible one xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks