Saturday 2 October 2021

No heat

 


I chopped up the chillies I harvested last week, ready to pickle.  It took aaaages!!  But sadly when I taste tested them, they had no heat.  Not spicy at all!!  Not even the red ones! 🌶 They tasted more like bell peppers than chilli peppers.  Nice but not what I expected!


I went ahead and pickled them any way with a simple vinegar/sugar/salt mixture.  I'm sure they'll be tasty with some Tex Mex style food even without the heat.  Nothing goes to waste in this house!

There's also no heat in the weather as it's turned very autumnal this week.  I'm back to wearing boots and woolly cardigans to work.  We've not been out as much in our P1 garden as it's been very wet and windy.  Luckily we have just 1 week left of school then it's our October break.

My new bathroom gets installed then! 🛁🚽🚿

12 comments:

  1. How strange. My chillies have been like Russian roulette. I had no idea whether it would be a blisteringly hot one or a mild one... off the same plant too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a few as I chopped, all pretty mild. I know de Cayenne chillies aren't that hot but was expecting some heat! How weird that yours are a mixed bunch!!

      Delete
  2. Never tried growing hot chilies as I'm not a big fan of spicy stuff. Hope all goes well with the installation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I'll bother next year. I wanted hot chillies to make hot sauce. I certainly hope the bathroom goes better than the kitchen!!

      Delete
  3. I bet the your pickled chillis will taste amazing, The weathers definitely changing, lot cooler. Good luck with the bathroom, sure it will be fabulous. Dying to see pics of it.
    Ali have I seen you commenting on Anna’s ‘Random Thoughts’ blog? It’s one of several blogs I follow but it seems to have disappeared for me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they taste good. Really easy to make. Not commented on Random Thoughts for ages, I think it's an invite only blog now

      Delete
  4. I've not had much success with chillies it has to be said - however next year I shall be trying again but in the works glasshouse rather than mine which is a bit too shaded out thanks to neighbours trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time successfully growing them from seed myself so I'm taking that as a positive!

      Delete
  5. Chilies are usually hotter if the weather has been hot. A cooler summer will mean milder chilies. Mild chilies will be tasty too, especially on sandwiches and burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you're right about the lack of consistent hot weather. I'm sure they'll taste fab though.

      Delete
  6. Very strange as our jalapeno peppers are really hot this year. Which is a good thing as I did not plant any chili peppers or other hot pepper types. I am sure they will be lovely pickled though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tasted one of my red ones and it was when I munched on the seed end I got some heat!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks