Saturday 15 January 2022

Halfway point

 

Well I'm halfway through January and my fridge looks like this!! 😂  I have a quarter of the red cabbage left (might use it in a stir fry this coming week), a bowl of home made coleslaw, half a pack of dairy free spread, small pack of hard sheep's cheese, 500g soya yoghurt and a range of condiments.

I cleaned out all the sorry looking veggies this morning and made enough soup for lunches for a whole week.  Grated it all and chucked it in a big pot with rice, red lentils and a bit of stock powder.  I didn't have any leafy green veg so added a pack of frozen parsley (home grown 2 years ago.)  It's actually very tasty!


This is my second batch of coleslaw, simply made with some shredded red cabbage and grated carrots/apples/onion mixed with a splash of apple cider vinegar and mayo.  I tossed in a few walnuts too.  Really tasty!!

I opened my last litre carton of soya milk which usually lasts me a week. I mainly use it for breakfast (GF rice crispies from my Approved Foods order last year or porridge) but I sometimes make a white sauce. I'll use it sparingly this week!  


I took the last of my homegrown tomato sauce out the freezer this morning as well as some vegan bacon.  I'm planning to make some pizza bases tonight, hopefully there will be some leftovers to freeze for the end of the month.  The freezer is full pretty full of fruit, veg and GF bread so sould last easily until the end of the month.

So far this month I'm pleased to report at the halfway point  I've only spent £91 on a new kettle, pest repeller plug ins (we have mice in the walls of the extension!), a baby gift for a colleague and meds for Emma.  

We went back to the vet last night to get her stitches removed.  The wound has healed and no further action is needed on the fatty lump.  However, her ears are still not fully healed and she needs more steroids. The painkillers she was on have had the benefit of helping with her arthritic shoulder and she's had a new lease of life this week.  Much more playful and alert so we're keeping her on those for a further 2 weeks then she'll be reassessed. Another £30 spent.  

All in all a decent frugal start to the year.  I'm not including the vet op costs as I'm using my savings from last year.  But I'll add the on going costs as it will give me idea of how much it costs to keep an older dog.

6 comments:

  1. I was doing quite well until a friend posted that she was selling up her wee local gift shop. I had a voucher for £10 for it, so off I trotted and ended up spending more than the £10 buying a scarf, hat and some fingerless gloves! The fingerless gloves are proving very handy for dog walking. Much easier to get out the poo bags with free fingers! Hopefully that will be me till the end of the month though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love my fingerless gloves!! I think my challenge is making me really think about every purchase and that's a good thing :-)

      Delete
  2. You are managing wonderfully.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! 2 weeks done, another 50 to go, LOL!!

      Delete
  3. It's certainly good to keep track. I am hopeless at that but basically know what I have spent when my credit card bill comes in. I do use cash occasionally for small purchases but I am still on the money I withdrew in December and it will last me into February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was married to an accountant for 24 years and he kept track of every penny. I think I often rebel against that!! But it's good to 'see' what I'm actually spending my money on. I withdrew money at the start of December for various things and still have around £90 in my purse. That should last for months as I rarely need cash

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks