Wednesday 27 July 2022

Day 33: Catch up

 


My blueberries are finally ripening!  I moved the pots from the front garden to the back garden at the end of last season and they're not doing as well as previous years.


I dried some mint and sage from the garden to make teas in the Winter.  Sage tea is a good gargle for a sore throat.


I made more jam.  This one is Raspberry and Elderflower Gin jam 😋


I've been practising using my sourdough to make pancakes and waffles.


I also made blackcurrant jam, delicious on  pancakes!! 😋


I got a bargain organic chicken at Tesco!  Reduced from £16.34 to £6.55.  £16 for a chicken!!!!!  Who can afford that???  Even the £6.55 was expensive!


Also got some unwaxed lemons, useful for jam making!


And on the plot, it's raspberries and the nasturtiums that are doing well!!  Shame about the slow progress on my tomatoes.  I'm even wondering if it's worth growing my own tomatoes and using the polytunnel for other things next year.  One of my tomato plants only has 1 tomato and 2 of them are still at the flower stage.  They're all cooking varieties (Amish Paste, Roma and Aurora) not eating types and I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

The holiday is rushing by now and I'm starting to think about school already.  I said I would use the whole of July to not do any school stuff and I've stuck to it.  Once August starts I'll begin the build up to the new school year of 2022 - 2023 🤯

14 comments:

  1. Sourdough crumpets are also delicious. Those waffles and pancakes look great (it all does, actually!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved making the sourdough bread but realistically it's so quick to make the pancakes etc I think I'll mostly be doing these when I'm back at work. Crumpets are next on my list if I can find my rings!! xxx

      Delete
  2. The time flies by faster than ever, you have been busy and very productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm being quite lazy but when I look at the stuff I've been doing I've done more than I thought!!

      Delete
  3. That jam sounds delicious, adding elderflower to anything just ramps up the flavour doesn't it. I hadn't realised how much I missed having homegrown Blueberries until last week, so I did something about it and have ordered 3 youngish plants ... I'll be back in business for next year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant!! I've got 4 mature bushes and a young one now. I've got to fight off the birds for the berries!!

      Delete
  4. You make me feel quite lazy! Currently sweltering in a heatwave here in the Pacific North West with no inclination to leave the house during daylight. However you’ve inspired me to try growing fruits and veg in pots next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In those few really hot days we had I didn't leave the house either! The heat saps my energy, no wonder hot countries have an afternoon siesta!! There's a ton of stuff that can be grown in pots, go for it! :-)

      Delete
  5. Hopefully the chicken will taste really good. Our Tesco seems to be really stingy with markdowns, or perhaps it's just that I'm there too early to get the best deals.
    The jam looks fabulous I think I will have a go at the rhubarb version.
    It's hard to believe that so much of the summer holiday has gone already. 🥺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rhubarb jam recipe is so good. I'm planning on making more but as the rhubarb season is well underway I'm guessing it won't end up as pink/red. It'll still taste fab though!

      Delete
  6. You have been busy, Ali! My jam making got done at the beginning of the month and now I am thinking about chutneys and relishes. Last year I made green tomato chutney (some of which I still have to eat) and rhubarb relish - it went fast as it was so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, moving into chutney season now although I'm doing one more jam today and then I'm done!

      Delete
  7. Busy drying herbs here as well. I never heard of sage tea, must give that a try the next time I have a sore throat.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's anti inflammatory so helps sooth it. I think I googled what helps a sore throat once and found it

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks